True or urban legend??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blondebride08 Posts: 317
A friend of mine asked me had I gotten my engagement ring cleaned yet - a friend of hers had heard a couple of horror stories of rings coming back with stones replaced/different ring, and to be careful about it! I can't imagine this happening in jewellers, especially when they make money on their reputation - surely they do not risk this! I wonder has this actually happened to anyone or is it just an urban legend?
msmcb1 Posts: 508
I honestly wouldnt be surprised that it happens but im sure reputable jewellers wouldnt risk their reputation dabbling in this kind of business. When i had to get work done on mine i watched the jeweller do the work and didnt take my eyes off it...even when he had his goggles on melting the metal. Needless to say i was blinded. I would/will not leave my ring with any jeweller.
Joleigh Posts: 4242
I heard that too but its always...so & so said that someone they know was getting their ring cleaned and the diamond was swapped! Dont know if it actually happens though!
Little Kitty Posts: 914
I can't imagine that would happen if you left your ring with a reputable jeweller. I would just take it back to the place it was bought originally, if you can of course.
stinky Posts: 606
I don't know about diamond swapping but i left mine into a jewellers in the Square who sell engagment rings to get the setting fixed and he replaced that with a different one without consulting me - he didn't give a f*ck about his reputation when he ruined my ring O:|
Mrs Snove Posts: 1611
:eek I've never even thought of it. I doubt that any reputable jewellers would do it.
ohsohappybride Posts: 3476
It's crazy the things that you hear happen to people, don't know if I'd think it was true or not...