Try immed after pill or wait?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

so_clear Posts: 397
I was wondering if it's ok to TTC immediately after coming off the pill or should you wait a while using other protection in order to give your body a chance to get back to normal? Would there be any pill chemicals floating around in your system? This is a brilliant forum and it's fantastic that everyone is so friendly and willing to share their knowledge and experience. As you can see I'm completely clueless, so I'm afraid that I don't have too much knowledge to share just yet but would really appreciate any advice! :)
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
It's perfectly ok to try immediately off the pill and recent research shows you're actually very fertile coming straight off it. However, it can take some a long time to return to normal cycles etc. but there's nothing dangerous about starting straight away. Just remember ur folic acid! Good luck :)
woonoo Posts: 78
Indeed, I can testify that you are most fertile immediately after coming off it. It's fine to ttc straight away but letting yourself have a 'normal' cycle for a couple of months can help you with your dates. No evidence has been found of any problems with residue pill hormones in your system...at least, I hope not... :shock:
sally Posts: 1140
Am stopping my pill next week and will be trying straight away. I have read you are most fertile after coming off pill so fingers crossed. Some books say to wait for a natural period to estimate due date... but i dont have the patience for that. Just wondering when would you expect to ovulate after coming off pill... I know everyone is different but the average. I think its 14-16 days from the first day of your bleed but not sure.
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
It's difficult to say Sally - it can take some women a while to actually ovulate again. Without charting or using opks, ur best bet is to do the deed at least 3 times to week to cover yourself.
mrs sarah c Posts: 522
Don't get your hopes up too soon after coming off ,pill it can take 6 months to go back to normal so don't stress yourself if it takes a while
anon42day Posts: 45
chemically I don't think there is a problem but some people do wait to get themselves back into a regular cycle - we tried straight away and got 2 af's before becoming pregnant.
NotHere Posts: 10273
Mrs Cath2005 Posts: 138
We started trying right off the Pill, this is our 2nd cycle trying so we weren't successful our first month but 2 close friends got pregnant their first try off the pill. I am just hoping my cycles aren't that wacko for long b/c of the Pill.
Incognito Posts: 232
I'm off the pill two months on Wednesday and still no period. I'm not pregnant- I'm sure of that having spent a fortune on tests! At this stage I would be happy with a regular cycle, at least then we could be sure of getting the timing right!