TTC after D&C

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

questionsquestions Posts: 35
Hi girls, I hope you don't mind me posting in the pregnancy forum. I had a mc at almost 12 weeks. We had a scan at 8 weeks and all looked good (saw heartbeat etc - so knew our dates were correct). Four weeks later I miscarried - but the baby only measured 9 weeks (i.e. i didn't start to miscarry until 2/3 weeks after the baby stopped developing). I had to have a D&C and the healing seems to be going well (thank God!). There seems to be 2 schools of thought about TTC after a D&C - some doctors say to wait 3 cycles (as your chance of miscarrying is higher if you get pregnant within 3 months after the D&C) and others say to TTC straight away. Have any of you had a D&C and what experience or advice would you give (from your own experience - or from friends who have been in a similar position)? Thanks.
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
sorry to hear about your loss :xox there is a ttc after mc post in TTC forum all the girls there will be able to help :xox
shining star Posts: 877
hi questionsquestions, I'm so sorry that you're going thru this- I unfortunatley know exactly how it feels as I had a missed miscarriage in Jan. Like you I had a scan at 8 weeks where we saw the hb, then at my 12 week scan we learned baby had died around 9 weeks- no signs with bleeding or cramping even at 14 weeks when I had d&c. We were told we could try whenever we liked after af arrived, that it was whenever we felt ready ourselves. We decided whatever happened happened and didn't use contraception after af arrived and we found out we were pregnant again in March and here we are 5 weeks away! I think the most important thing is that you both feel ready to try again. For us it felt right, but I know that's not the case for everyone. I still grieve the baby we lost now, and imagine I always will but am very excited about this one too. I hope you and dp are doing ok, look after each other and I think time is the only thing that helps.. Good luck! :wv
Always hoping Posts: 784
Questionsquestions! Very sorry to read of your loss. :o( I had a similar experience but I'm some way down the line. After my d & c I was told I could start trying straight away. We decided to wait for my first period and then try again. All the literature say that most women conceive again before they reach the due date of their lost angle. However I reached my baby's due date without getting preg and got preg the following month. I keep thinking how wierd it is. :eek Each month I got my period it was like experiencing the loss all over again... Everyone is different but I definitely found getting preg again helped me heal. Best of luck :lvs
questionsquestions Posts: 35
Thanks so much girls for all of your replies. I think we'll use contraception until i get my first AF. I'm telling myself now that I will wait until after my 2nd af to start TTC again .. but if i change my mind in a few weeks time i think i'll just go with the flow ...
kala Posts: 1937
questionsquestions listen to your heart. i hope you get good news soon and get the baby you want so much. all is not lost. i have a few people close to me that had miscarriages on their first and went on afterwards to give birth to healthy babies.
AA11 Posts: 313
QuestionsQuestions, I'm sorry for what you have been through. I am going through the same thing at the moment. I didn't have a d&c but found out I had a missed miscarriage a couple of weeks ago and actually miscarried on Tuesday this week. I ended up in hospital for a night and so got to talk to a doctor about ttc again among other things...He said what a lot of the girls said, physically there is no reason you can't try again straight away but for dating reasons its easier for them if you wait until you get an af, but if I didn't want to wait for an af, that was fine too and many women get pregnant again immediatly and have perfectly healthy babies. He said that it is more when you are ready emotionally to get pregnant again that matters. And also said that in his experience, most women find the best way to move on from a miscarriage is to get pregnant again. He also warned about the worry of the first 13 weeks the next time, that it will be hard but said I shouldn't change anything. If I exercised this time, I should exercise next time etc..it was nothing that I had done, its just natures way. I found he took the time to make me feel better and reassured me about trying again and I really appreicated that. I am a public patient and found the care in the hospital fanastic..it ahd restored my faith in the public health system a bit. I certainly feel I want to be pregnant again but I am going to wait until I get an af all the same. I am going to use the time in between to take care of myself, eat properly, try and lose a few pounds, get back some lost fitness and drink several gallons of wine and have a good time :o0 and then I feel I will be ready in every way to be pregnant again. Sorry for the long post, I just thought I would say what the doctor told me...good luck with trying again and maybe we will end up on the same pregnancy board next time...