TTC and stopped smoking - can I use the patches

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mumof2 Posts: 3864
Gave up the ciggies yesterday (about 15 years later than I should have) but anyways am on the patch. Now am wondering today if that is safe to use when TTC. I know that it must be better than smoking but still, would it do much damage. Would come off them immediately if I found out I was pg but am hoping that until I know that I could stay on the patch and inhaler - girls please, any advice what should I do?
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
The best thing to do is consult your doctor... Thats the best advice i can give you sorry!
sally Posts: 1140
I read you shouldnt use nicotine replacement therapy while TTC but if its the only thing that will get you off the fags then its the lesser of two evils. Its very hard without some support.... I tried the gum and found it great as I only used it when I really needed a fag and I ended up just getting one pack which lasted me till I had given up. Then again Im only a social smoker so the gum suited me better. Good luck with it.... dont you find all those ads on radio and TV at this time of year about giving up smoking just makes it harder,.... I hate those ads.
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Hi sally, I too gave up the fags yesterday. Had my last one at 10am yesterday. And I am dying for one still. I have decided to go cold turkey. Time I find the hardest is after eating. We are TTC and well I am hoping this might help our chances. I always said I would go off them the minute I get a BFP but decided that getting off them now might lead to getting the BFP quicker. Hang in there, if you need a rant i'll listen. I find I am very narky.
Ducky Posts: 2506
Well done girls. I quit last Jan as wanted them out of system before TTC. It's bloody hard but am so glad I didn't have to face fag cravings at same time as morning sickness so don't try to do it all at once. Use whatever you need to get off them and then concentrate on baby. If you do conceive, better check with doc alright about patches but best thing you can do is not smoke. It aint easy though, would still love one sometimes.
great to hear ducky your still off them. I was hoping to be pregnant before now but not so far so my new years resolution was to give them up. I find just after eating to be the hardest. Keep thinking even if I had a drag I would be happy but I know I can't do that, it's all or nothing. If I get a BFP this month though I know giving them up won't bother me at all. I would never ever have one again if I was told I could have a BFP
mumof2 Posts: 3864
I tried to go without the patch this morning but ended up putting on one in the end. I guess it is just the better of the two evils. Didn't chart this month as I was away but my temp is low so I guess nothing is happening this month so I can stay on the patches until next month or until I get a BFP. I would like to think as well that I would give up the minute I knew I had a BFP but until I get one I don't have the willpower to go cold turkey Congrads to all the girls who have managed to stay off them - am dreaded putting up loads of weight now - couldn't stop eating last night!!
ttc Posts: 19
the best of luck giving them up! I am off them over two months now, and the first few days are def the worst. I don't even think about them now!
Ducky Posts: 2506
I was warned about the three 3s when quitting and it is so true. The worst times are 3 days 3 weeks and 3 months off them That's when you are most likely to crack. I found three months especially hard. You think you're over them but you're not. If you always have one after eating, go and have a shower, or do something that requires you to have wet hands. Can't smoke then. I did put on weight but then, I ate like a pig. Sweets in the car especially and I hardly ever smoked in the car!! Change your routine. Sit in a different chair if you smoked wathcing TV on the couch, I stopped drinking white wine and switched to red to break the habit of one going with the other, and stay away from other smokers for a while. You can do it. Baby is so worth it.
this thread is great. Happy to say yesterday was another smoke free day. 2 days done now. Reading above today is going to be hard day3. Found it hard yesterday around 3pm and between 7-9 last night. I find chewing gum is helping a small bit. Think this weekend is going to be hard. So tempted to just have a quick puff but I know that is cheating. A friend of mine is off them too but said they smoked a few yesterday and day before. I feel good that I haven't but so jealous that they did.