Tuna - ok to eat occasionally? Has anyone asked their doc?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hi girls Just wondering what you all think about eating canned tuna (made into tuna mayo) occasionally. Guidelines seem to be no more than 2 cans per week. I'd eat one tuna sandwich maybe every 2 - 3 weeks. However some American websites say no tuna at all. Just wondered has anyone asked their doctor or consultant about this and got reassurance?
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Hey GB, I didn't ask my doc but I read it loads of places. Tuna is ok to eat occassionally, say once a week. It is just one of the fish that is high in mercury so should not be eaten in excess. But it is ok to eat, I ate it throughout and I'm grand. HTH
Pumpernickle Posts: 206
Canned tuna is ok 2-3 times per week (I read) but not fresh tuna i.e. tuna steaks. These contain too much mercury.
leanbh1 Posts: 473
Canned tuna is fine-no more than 2 cans a week.Its actually really important for omegas and essential fatty acids.. No fresh tuna,marlin,shark or swordfish though..
chicam Posts: 1169
I've also been eating tinned tuna all through my pregnancy, my Doc actually said 2-3 times a week is quite good but did tell me to steer clear of the tuna steaks.
smurf77 Posts: 2216
Yeah I read the same. Its really good for you once or twice a week. TBH I find ALOT of the US stuff way OTT for me. I go by my two books now and VHI website. If you believed everything you would eat nothing and just drink bottled water.