Turning down the Domino Scheme? - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ohsotired Posts: 7071
[quote="missussunshine":2svxfas9]My mam has type two diabetes so maybe thats why it was never mentioned. cheers.[/quote:2svxfas9] Could well be missussunshine! My midwife actually thought I was ok for Domino but when she put it into system it said no due to the diabetes in the family so it was a double disappointment! As she said to me you basically have to present with zero risks/potential risks which is fair enough I suppose! For those with the Coombe if you are in the catchment area for Domino you should be able to do community midwife clinic which is essentially the same thing so if you get rejected for Domino ask about that!
Makka Pakka Posts: 620
[quote="ohsotired":2jksunbs][ For those with the Coombe if you are in the catchment area for Domino you should be able to do community midwife clinic which is essentially the same thing so if you get rejected for Domino ask about that![/quote:2jksunbs] Does this mean if I got turned down for it, that I still see the midwives clinic in my area for my appointments and only go to my hospital for my scans? Sorry, am so new to all this, I cant understand half of it :o0
missussunshine Posts: 513
Sorry, am so new to all this, I cant understand half of it :o0[/quote] That makes two of us Baby H :compress
[quote="Baby H":2gwijooz][quote="ohsotired":2gwijooz][ For those with the Coombe if you are in the catchment area for Domino you should be able to do community midwife clinic which is essentially the same thing so if you get rejected for Domino ask about that![/quote:2gwijooz] Does this mean if I got turned down for it, that I still see the midwives clinic in my area for my appointments and only go to my hospital for my scans? Sorry, am so new to all this, I cant understand half of it :o0[/quote:2gwijooz] Yep - or if you opt not to go with Domino! I was community midwives until 18 weeks when they transferred me back over to the hospital so my first two appointments were in local clinic with short waiting times! Scans will be in the hospital but if all is well you can stick with your local clinic - most likely where your booking appointment is!
[quote="ohsotired":t1v4k1gk] Yep - or if you opt not to go with Domino! I was community midwives until 18 weeks when they transferred me back over to the hospital so my first two appointments were in local clinic with short waiting times! Scans will be in the hospital but if all is well you can stick with your local clinic - most likely where your booking appointment is![/quote:t1v4k1gk] Thanks Ohsotired. Yeah my booking apt is with local midwives clinic, so am assuming they will keep sending me there as its only 5 mins away and keeps me out of overcrowded hospitals. Would be pointless of them to send me anywhere else! Do you know how many scans a mother gets in total? I have one in the Coombe when I am 12 weeks. Is there another after that? Would they be my only visits to the hospital? Or do you visit the hospital more regularly when you get further on? I am also doing combined care with my doc, so not sure if I will ever need to travel into the Coombe.
[quote="Baby H":2ip5uxwn][quote="ohsotired":2ip5uxwn] Yep - or if you opt not to go with Domino! I was community midwives until 18 weeks when they transferred me back over to the hospital so my first two appointments were in local clinic with short waiting times! Scans will be in the hospital but if all is well you can stick with your local clinic - most likely where your booking appointment is![/quote:2ip5uxwn] Thanks Ohsotired. Yeah my booking apt is with local midwives clinic, so am assuming they will keep sending me there as its only 5 mins away and keeps me out of overcrowded hospitals. Would be pointless of them to send me anywhere else! Do you know how many scans a mother gets in total? I have one in the Coombe when I am 12 weeks. Is there another after that? Would they be my only visits to the hospital? Or do you visit the hospital more regularly when you get further on? I am also doing combined care with my doc, so not sure if I will ever need to travel into the Coombe.[/quote:2ip5uxwn] You get your dating scan & anomoly scan in the Coombe. I had 2 mini scans when I saw consultant in the Coombe at 16 & 18 weeks but they were really quick. The midwives will use a doppler to check baby's heartbeat in the clinic! Depending on how your pregnancy progresses you may get more scans but for the most part so long as all is well with you and baby then it's just the two scans which is good as some of the other hospitals only offer the one! I'm doing combined care with GP so for now my schedule is: 24 weeks: Doc 28 weeks: Coombe 30 weeks: Doc 32 weeks: Coombe 34 weeks: Doc 36 weeks: Coombe 37 weeks: Doc 38 weeks: Coombe 39 weeks: Doc 40 weeks: Coombe The midwife might decide to send you in to see the consultants team at any stage - this is what happened to me! I had my booking apt at 13 weeks, dating scan at 14 weeks & then after follow up appointment at 17 weeks was transferred back to the Coombe so my 'hospital' appointments have been there since!
Thanks Ohsotired. I see my doc again at 24 weeks. So will see after that if I am Coombe or local midwives clinic! Ah it all seems so far away really, but am hoping it will fly in :) Bursting to get out and buy baby things :o)ll :o)ll
Baby H you'll know after your booking appointment whether you're in the Coombe or midwives clinic so not too long to wait! :o0
mrswifey Posts: 775
Just to add that I am doing the Domino scheme in the Coombe and it states on the info you are given that you can get epi, you just get transferred (on paper) to consultant led care from that point on. In terms of what that means to you in the middle of giving birth - the answer is pretty much nothing! But if you have a Domino's midwife and another woman comes in in labour who is part of the scheme, then you may get a 'normal' midwife and the domino's one will go to whoever is in need. That's not a big deal as far as I am concerned anyway - sure their shift could change while you are in there and you could end up with more than one over the course of the labour. Other possibility is that you won't qualify for early transfer home if you do go for epi. I think they offer the best of both worlds - gearing you towards a natural labour, but still leaving the door open for all the other options.
medea49 Posts: 324
It's interesting that the Domino scheme seems to work differently in different hospitals... I did the Domino on baby number 1 (and am doing the same with baby number 2) and would be shouting their praises from the rooftop! I found all of the care to be excellent. I had an epi, but was never transferred to a consultant -- my baby was still delivered with just the Domino midwife (and my husband) in attendance. It was wonderful actually! I'm going to try to go natural this time but I'm not going to be a martyr about it ;) I really do think it's the best option out there if you're low risk...