Twins Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wol-Aholic Posts: 349
Hiya Haven't started TTC yet but found out yesterday that there my mum had twin sublings which alas didnt survive..... I remember someone saying that the "twin" gene comes from the father side, anyone know if this is right?
mila Posts: 698
[quote:3iaglxhs]I remember someone saying that the "twin" gene comes from the father side, anyone know if this is right?[/quote:3iaglxhs] There's no such thing as a "twin gene". Identical twinning is a completely random event. Fraternal twinning *may* be slightly hereditary - if there's a history of the womenfolk releasing more than one egg at ovulation, etc.... However, the most common factors which might predispose you are if you are over 35, not on your first prengancy and are taller and heavier than average. Obviously, if you are on Clomid or anything like that which would stimulate ovulation, the chances are increased again. Everything else is just luck!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Was told at my first appointment that we had a high possibility of twins....nothing to do with my age, height, etc. It was down to the fact that there was a history of fraternal twins on my / my mother's side of the family. My gran had 3 sets of twins (out of 13 children). 3 of my aunts, as well as two of my cousins have all had twins as well. So there's definitely something along the maternal line - nothing to do with the father's side though.
lamb nose Posts: 679
It defo runs down through the maternal line. My mom had non-identical twins and my first cousins are also non-identical twins, so when I found out I was pregnant I did a bit of research on it. I remember someone saying that the older you are the more likely you are to have twins and also if you have had previous pregnancies before.
mummy bear Posts: 3824
Second lambnose and jellybaby deft maternal side, my mam is a idential twin and anuntie had triplets and i have twins! (they are hard work for great fun)!! JUst thought id share!!
over it Posts: 2779
Oh God, I'm pretty screwed then! My Mum's Mum had twins, my Mum's sister had two sets of twins and my Dad's Mum had twins. What do you think my chances are then????? :roll: :roll:
mila Posts: 698
[quote:1pdytkv7]Oh God, I'm pretty screwed then! My Mum's Mum had twins, my Mum's sister had two sets of twins and my Dad's Mum had twins. What do you think my chances are then????? :roll: :roll:[/quote:1pdytkv7] :lol: :lol: :lol: Let's hope you havn't inherited their ovaries! ;)