Two weddings in hotel, does it bother anyone?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

skillet Posts: 244
We are having our wedding in Ballykealey Manor and so we are almost guarenteed the whole place to ourselves and it is one of the reasons(along with 100 more) that we love our venue. Anyway we stayed in a hotel in Kilkenny at the weekend and they had 2 weddings on Saturday as well as ordinary overnight guests like us. We arrived into the lobby in our shorts and t-shirts all sweaty and laden down with shopping bags and bottles of water etc in on top of one of the bridal parties having their welcome reception. Because there were two wedding one of them had to use the public lobby for this. I just cant imagine it and Im not saying there wont be other people at our hotel on the day i suppose because it is in a remote area that at least anyone there will have travelled to have a lunch or something. How do you brides feel about sharing your day with another bride and also with ejits like us just walking thru your welcome reception
aylala Posts: 3673
I was at a wedding before where 2 receptions were happening and they only problem was when it came to the bridal suites at night-time - our friends got the most horrendous suite I ever saw and the other couple got really nice suite. I would be peed off over this if it happened to me
BlushingB Posts: 1634
We were at a wedding in a venue that can hold four on one day, at the same time! As it was there were three on the day we were there. When we came into the lobby another bride was there. Even though there were assigned entrances for each bride, they managed to cris cross with each other. One of the other bands wasn't great, so guests from that wedding gate crashed the one we were at and were up on the dance floor giving it loads. They really stood out as they were quite young and scangerette-ish. The late bar was another meeting pot for all the guests too. That was one thing that we were determined we wouldn't do, share our venue with another bride and groom. Just seeing it in action really put us off the idea.
Sunbeam Posts: 2721
Our hotel has a one hotel a day policy (only because they aren't big enough to hold two) but TBH this didn't have an impact on our choice of venue. I used to work in hotels and coordinated many wedding receptions. We were able to have three weddings on the same day (it didn't often happen but as people seemed happy enough with two weddings at a time, but not three). Speaking personally, I know that where I worked, we ensured that we had enough staff on to cater for the three events and staff were assigned toa particular wedding. We did not use staff to do one wedding, then the second, and then the third as this means that one wedding is waiting a ridiculous amount of time to be served. Each wedding had a "team" assigned to it and they were treated as an individual wedding. I know that I, and my colleagues, gave the same attention to detail to multi-weddings, as we did to the days when we had one wedding. We held the welcome receptions in the public bars/ areas but the different weddings would be split into different areas of the hotel. I don't remember anyone complaining about it, and I certainly know that I used to tell brides and grooms when I was giving them a walkabout, that that was the state of play. Hope you can understand this as reading through it, it seems a bit jumbled!!
AislinnS Posts: 1253
Yes, it would bother me. Not just cos am a bridezilla or anything though. One of the big factors in the venue that we booked was just to do with that. We're the only wedding that weekend, and we've got the whole place to ourselves for the night as we've booked all the rooms. There won't be a seperate dinner sitting for other customers that night either - we have the undivided attention of the kitchen and staff. Good for us, and good for them. I'd hope that if I was booked into a venue where there was a second wedding that they would go to huge lengths to make sure the guests weren't confused as to where they were going. Could make things very awkward!
WonderWol Posts: 2927
The hotel we had ours in had 3 weddings on that day and we never even noticed! :lol:
Anonymous Posts: 24542
skillet Posts: 244
I think if your hotel is set up for multible weddings then thats ok, I just felt like a bit of a lemon trundling into the middle of the welcome reception looking like a scruff. Im sure the B&G didnt notice little old me but it would be an issue for me
april 2 Posts: 42
[quote:1bm09ulk]We are having our wedding in Ballykealey Manor and so we are almost guarenteed the whole place to ourselves and it is one of the reasons(along with 100 more) that we love our venue. Anyway we stayed in a hotel in Kilkenny at the weekend and they had 2 weddings on Saturday as well as ordinary overnight guests like us. We arrived into the lobby in our shorts and t-shirts all sweaty and laden down with shopping bags and bottles of water etc in on top of one of the bridal parties having their welcome reception. Because there were two wedding one of them had to use the public lobby for this. I just cant imagine it and Im not saying there wont be other people at our hotel on the day i suppose because it is in a remote area that at least anyone there will have travelled to have a lunch or something. How do you brides feel about sharing your day with another bride and also with ejits like us just walking thru your welcome reception[/quote:1bm09ulk] Hi Skillet, just noticed you are having your wwedding in Ballykealy manor. I was looking that up yesterday, it looks lovely. I was thinking of checking it out for our wedding...of about 120 guests, do you think that number would be a bit lost in it. Also how are you finding dealing with them, I take it that you have the place exclusively for your Wedding? I would really love to know a bit more about it as I am really paniced about picking a venue at this stage and it does look lovely, but I am really tied for time to go view venues. thanks a million, April
Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
I have to say it wouldn't bother me as long as there was a different entrance, a different bridal suite and enough staff to cope with the guests. I'd hate the idea of bumping into another bride on my big day! I'd start to compare dresses, tiara's etc even if I only saw her in the distance. I'd take it all in! Definately would only use a hotel with a one wedding a day policy!