Underweight/ small babies?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mama2E Posts: 670
Hi Mums, Was hoping someone could help. Long story short I had another scare this weekend and today the consultant told me that my baby is underweight/ small for its age (28 weeks on wed). I have to go back on Thursday to see the consultant and they basically said that they need to keep a close eye on it? Anyone else experience anything similar? What was the outcome? I'm trying my best not to worry but not doing a good job. :o(
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
Sorry I have no advice for you on this as I have no experience. Would you go to your GP and ask them to give you all the information about it as you are worried??? Hope all is ok.
Babybop. Posts: 592
mama2b i was told the same thing by my Gp and Consultant so they sent me up for a big scan and it actually showed that the baby was weighig 5 and 1/2 pounds the Consultant was in shock as my bump is so small. he said you must be all baby then. Ask your consultant can you get the babys weight done by the Big scan if it hasnt being done already. this all happened to me when i was 32 weeks and now there bring me in during the week to make sure the babys not going to be to big. so try not worry until its confirmed.
thanks baby bop. I was in with the consultant today and they done the scan and had me hooked up to a monitor. I was trying so hard not to cry my eyes out that I never thought to ask the "actual weight at the moment". I have another appointment with the consultant on Thursday so will get a list of Q's done then and find out more. I'm just really worried as the insensitive consultant was talking about not alot of blood getting to baby and how she needs to monitor this aswell as the baby being small. I just hope every thing works out. I'm so glad that I went to hospital after all!
Babybop. Posts: 592
[quote="mama2b":2nbl5dui]thanks baby bop. I was in with the consultant today and they done the scan and had me hooked up to a monitor. I was trying so hard not to cry my eyes out that I never thought to ask the "actual weight at the moment". I have another appointment with the consultant on Thursday so will get a list of Q's done then and find out more. I'm just really worried as the insensitive consultant was talking about not alot of blood getting to baby and how she needs to monitor this aswell as the baby being small. I just hope every thing works out. I'm so glad that I went to hospital after all![/quote:2nbl5dui]mama2b they cant tell you the weight of the baby until they give you the big scan. i was in the hospital last Friday and it was a different doctor from the last time and he measured my bump and said it was only measuring at 34 weeks. I had to explain to him that i had a big scan done and she was measuring 5 and a half pounds and she wasnt under weight. he looked through my chart and seen the scan photos with the weight attached and said well it could be that you just all baby. try not stress until its confirmed by a big scan as your bump might not measure the same as your baby. hope all goes well for you.
thanks baby bop. I'll let you know how I get on on Thursday. I'm thinking positive thoughts and praying everything will turn out ok.