Unisex names for a boy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jarashow Posts: 3083
I have come across a boys name that both me a hubbie like (rare believe me) only thing is it's a girls name here in Ireland where we live, but it's both and boys and girls name in Sweden where he is from. Would you go with it if you loved it??? I would be worried that the child would be slagged to bits in school, having said that with all the different cultures now there are surely odd names (well to us anyways) appearing in playgrounds etc
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Is it girlie? iykwim... Some names are really good unisex names.. i.e I know a little boy and a little girl called Jordan.. So I'd say if its not too girlie I'd go with it. :wv
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
if it was me, id go with it if it was what we really liked. we picked an unusual name for our daughter, and made the mistake of telling people before she was born, and got a mixed bag of responses! people will always have an opinion! i cant speak from experience, but i went to school with 2 girls with unisex names, dara and blaize, and they both loved having a different name. HTH :wv
[quote="Toni2706":162fgtmo]Is it girlie? iykwim... Some names are really good unisex names.. i.e I know a little boy and a little girl called Jordan.. So I'd say if its not too girlie I'd go with it. :wv[/quote:162fgtmo] Hmmm it probably is over here. Right will bite the bullet and post it to see the response but will take it down again so please don't quote me :wv It's ********. Very normal boys name in Sweden. Edited to remove name
the moms Posts: 1427
I know a couple of guys called Kim. I don't think it's girly at all. You should totally go for it if you love it.
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
i dont think its too girlie at all, go for it if you like it :wv
Ah you don't know how much that has cheered me up. I don't know any guys called it hence the worry !!!
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Think thats actually really common as a boys name in Australia too. As Jiggy_Jo said everybody will always have an opinion but if ye love it and think it suits babs when he arrives then thats what matters so go for it.
PrincessBride_07 Posts: 517
Yep used to live beside a guy called Kim, never thought anything of it...mind you he was gorgeous so he could have been called anything and I wouldn't have cared :o0
MUMS THE WORD Posts: 733
If you ever watched home and away there was a gorgeous guy in the show called Kim... he was such a cutie. I think it would be easier to name your son a name if it is more acceptable in the Country you live in - so yeah go for it!!!