Unpaid Leave question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Domestic Goddess Posts: 101
Hi there, i still don't know how much time i want to take off from work. Will be going on ML in 5 weeks and not sure if I would like to take unpaid leave or not, depends on finances etc Do i have to tell my employer before I go on ML, how much unpaid leave, if any i want to take, or can i make that decision when im on ML Tks!
love struck Posts: 1125
Domestic Goddess You only need to inform them of your intention to take additional leave 4 weeks prior to your maternity leave finishing alot of places will ask you before you leave so they can organise cover but you are not obiged too.. Also in reltion to the additional leave you can inform them that you intially want to take 6 weeks unpaid leave and you can increase this once you give them 4 weeks notice.. Hope this helps you out..
MrsMoneypenny Posts: 783
Hey Domestic Goddess "If you intend to take the additional 16 weeks’ maternity leave you must provide your employer with at least 4 weeks' written notice. "http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/maternity_leave (under section Rules and Notice) I took my unpaid leave in stages, so initiallly applied for 4 weeks unpaid then when i knew things on job front for hubbie were looking ok i gave another 4 weeks notice of intention to take another 4 and so on!!! Hope that helps
Domestic Goddess Posts: 101
Thanks Mrs MP and lovestruck!
Toots12 Posts: 894
On the flip side of that, I know that in my workplace, I can inform them that I'm taking the maximum, but can change this throughout the course of my leave, provided I give sufficient notice - ie tell them I'm taking the full 16 weeks unpaid utif circumstances change, I can come back earlier than planned....
Toots12 Posts: 894
On the flip side of that, I know that in my workplace, I can inform them that I'm taking the maximum, but can change this throughout the course of my leave, provided I give sufficient notice - ie tell them I'm taking the full 16 weeks unpaid but if circumstances change, I can come back earlier than planned....