Menu

Unsalted Butter

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
When Unsalted Butter is mentioned in a recipe, what kind of butter do you use? I normally use Kerrigold - as it's what I normally have in the fridge
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
Kerrigold will be salted butter. I know Avonmore do an unsalted butter in a 1/2lb block. It's a silver wrapper.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
That would have salt in it though, I've only ever seen avonmore unsalted butter, and it was in a silver pack as opposed to the gold you usually see with butter.
Twinkle toe Posts: 1025
Avonmore do an unsalted butter & that's what I use.
MichelleBelle Posts: 202
Such a random thread! :o0
reine Posts: 1771
Yep, Avonmore's your only man for the unsalted. What are you making?
Nikki Kavanagh
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
Unsalted butter is mainly used on the continent but you can buy it in the supermarkets here. The 'normal' butter we use here has salt in it so if you want to follow the recipe exactly you need to buy unsalted butter.
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
If there is salt in the recipe then it should be fine to use the salted butter and leave out the extra salt.
Emme Posts: 4735
Adding to randomness....Flora Buttery is brilliant for cooking with...gives a gorgeous flavour. But when the reciepe says unsalted i always use Avonmore.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
Lurpack also do an unsalted butter - also in silver foil. Generally any butter in gold foil is salted, and silver foil is unsalted. Unsalted is your only man for baking, but it's rubbish for eating on toast/spuds.