Unusual Buffet Menu Choices-Help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

micls Posts: 1156
Hey everyone, I decided I'd be the 547th menu question of this week :D So, our date is drawing nearer :o)ll and I need to finalise some bits with the hotel. The menu is one of the main bits. We're marrying on an island in Thailand, and it's a buffet (which is the norm here). I've never been at a buffet wedding before so any input is appreciated. I have 16-20guests from home coming and 20-30 from here. I'm not worried about the people from here as they're used to Thai food etc. I'm focusing on making sure there's something for the people coming from home, some of whom don't have the most adventurous of taste buds! Our options are: Starters- (Pick 3) Spring rolls- seafood or veg Garlic Bread Papaya Salad Chicken satay Tom Kha seafood (coconut soup) Breaded calamari Breaded squid Cashew nuts with chilli, garlic, onions, ginger, salt Main course: (pick 5) Stir fried Squid with Thai Chili paste Stir fried Chicken with cashew nut Stir fried mixed vegetable with oyster sauce Stir fried Shrimp with mild chili Fillet fish with three flavors sauces BBQ. Chicken Skewer BBQ. Beef Skewer Stir fried beef with black pepper Stir chicken with garlic & pepper Whole fish with garlic & pepper Stir fried vegetable with cashew nut Green Curry chicken (geng keaw waan) Pineapple fried rice (cow pat zaperot) Mince chicken with basil (Gai sap pat kapaow) Stir-fried squid with Thai chilli paste Sides: (we get all of these) Plain Rice Vegetable Fried Rice French Fries BBQ Corn Dessert: (pick 2) Fresh Seasonal Fruits Mango Sticky Rice Fried Banana [u:2tyl1ozh]Our provisional menu:[/u:2tyl1ozh] Green Curry chicken (geng keaw waan) Stir Fried Chicken with garlic and pepper Stir fried mix vegetable with oyster sauce BBQ Chicken skewer BBQ Beef Skewer BBQ Corn French Fried Steamed Rice Vegetable Fried rice Fresh seasonal fruits Mango and sticky Rice So basically, I need a balance of really good Thai food and something the people who can't eat that will eat. All ideas welcome. I'm currently thinking: Spring Roll Salad Bar Tom Yum Seafood (hot sour soup) Green Curry Chicken BBQ Chicken Skewer Fillet fish with 3 sauces Stirfried mince chicken with basil (Pad Kapow) Stirfried Shrimp with mild chili or Beef with garlic and pepper Stirfried Veg with cashew nuts (gonna chance my arm and see if he'l throw this in for free as a veggie option!) Plain Rice Vegetable Fried Rice French Fries BBQ Corn Fresh Seasonal Fruits Mango Sticky Rice What do you think? What would you change? Is there anyone who won't eat any of it?
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
Well I would eat all of it as I love Asian food! But you know your guests tastes best! I suggest garlic bread/chick satay as a starter as this would be familiar food for non Asian but the salad bar is a great option!
[quote="kittycatt24":ykpcb1ug]Well I would eat all of it as I love Asian food! But you know your guests tastes best! I suggest garlic bread/chick satay as a starter as this would be familiar food for non Asian but the salad bar is a great option![/quote:ykpcb1ug] Garlic Bread might be a good idea. We're having chicken satay as one of the apps so I think we'll leave that. I think a lot of people eat spring rolls at home and hopefully the salad bar will help. What would you have it instead of? The spring rolls? Eeek!
Snuffy Posts: 1492
I think it looks great! I wouldn't eat any of the fish dishes as I hate fish but there's loads of other things to choose from! I'm hungry now!
[quote="Snuffy":2kme59ug]I think it looks great! I wouldn't eat any of the fish dishes as I hate fish but there's loads of other things to choose from! I'm hungry now![/quote:2kme59ug] I'm not a big fish eater myself, but as we're at the sea and it's all freshly caught stuff, it's kind of their speciality. Oh's dad is a fisherman(for fun) so hopefully he'l appreciate it!
winklefairy Posts: 907
I think your menu looks amazing! I went to a wedding on Koh Samui last April and the food was fabulous. There were about 50 of us, all from Australia or Ireland and everyone loved the food. Having said that, most people had probably been to Thailand before or at least eaten in a Thai restaurant at home. The thing is, people who are travelling all the way to Thailand for your wedding know they're going somewhere different and are probably expecting to try some different food. Also, they probably won't have flown in the morning of the wedding so will have had a couple of Thai meals anyway before they get to the wedding meal. I know you might have one or two less adventurous eaters, but I think you've got them covered with bbq chicken skewers, salad bar and fruit. I'd bet most people will be dying to try a bit of the things they don't recognise...and that's the beauty of a buffet - you can try a little of everything and then go back for more of what you liked! After all that rambling, I'm basically saying your menu looks perfect, and I wouldn't worry about it - there's plenty in there for everyone. And if someone's really picky they can have a big plate of chips! Hungry now.....
ninja next Posts: 1548
I think your menu looks amazing!! mind you I adore thai food. i think easily eaten food works well at a buffet so I would definitly include some of the meat/fish on skewers. As another poster said, please will be expecting "foreign" food so you dont have to be too conservative.
ninja next Posts: 1548
I think your menu looks amazing!! mind you I adore thai food. i think easily eaten food works well at a buffet so I would definitly include some of the meat/fish on skewers. As another poster said, please will be expecting "foreign" food so you dont have to be too conservative.