Up the walls with worry - took a disprin!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DublinGirl Posts: 1307
Oh girls. I'm up the walls here. O:| :o( I woke up yesterday morning with a pain through my right eye. It lasted all day and I eventually gave in and took something last night for it. Without thinking I took a disprin. :eek It was only about 3 quarters of an hour later that I realised 'sh!te I shouldn't have taken that'. I'm only allowed paracetemol'. Oh I was in such a panic to say the least. I rang the Vivas nurse on call and she wasn't much help to be honest. Was very 'blase' about the whole thing and even laughed as if to say I was worrying about nothing. She didn't even sound as if she knew for sure. She just basically said 'I don't think one disprin will make any difference'!!! HELLOOOO!!! :eek By this stage it had dissolved into my blood stream and I felt so guilty that I'd damaged babs. Any of ye shed any light here? Thanks girls. :o( :o(
pricilla Posts: 1564
[b:131ip333]If you are that freaked out, ring your doctor![/b:131ip333] Sorry I don't know what's okay or not okay, so just ring the doc and talk to someone who knows. Try to stay calm, there's no poing worrying yourself sick! Have been getting a lot of headaches myself too, hope you feel better soon.
molls Posts: 149
from www.babycentre.co.uk Is it safe to take aspirin during pregnancy? Expert Answers Ann Linden, certified nurse-midwife In most cases, no. While [b:1e2xy0bl]it's highly unlikely that taking a single dose of aspirin in early or mid-pregnancy will have a harmful affect,[/b:1e2xy0bl] the drug can cause problems for both you and your baby if you take it regularly in normal adult doses while you're pregnant. So, except in a few cases, it's best to avoid aspirin altogether during this time.
charli Posts: 5994
yes i agree, i dont think taking 1 disprin is going to cause any damage and certainly panicking and stressing about it wont do you and bads any good! i took 2 nurofen early in pregnancy and realised i should have only taken panadol or something for the pounding headaches i had for 2 days so thankfully i havent had to take anything since try not to stress, its just as a rule you should only take paracetemol but like if you got the flu or something like a chest infection you would have to take a stronger medicine/antibiotic on docs recommendation so try not to worry
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:w45oe3r8]Don't worry hun!! Give your doctor a holler is you're really worried about it. I just read up on the Net about it for you and they do say not to take it during pregnancy but they highlighted the third trimester as the one defo not to take it during:[/color:w45oe3r8] [i:w45oe3r8]Aspirin[/i:w45oe3r8] [color=indigo:w45oe3r8](same as Disprin)[/color:w45oe3r8] [i:w45oe3r8]and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen are not recommended during pregnancy, as there are safer alternatives available. [b:w45oe3r8]They should particularly be avoided in the last trimester[/b:w45oe3r8], because they can delay labour, increase the length of labour and cause complications in the newborn baby. Painkilling doses of aspirin can also increase the risk of bleeding in the mother and baby if taken in the third trimester. [b:w45oe3r8]Evidence suggests these medicines should also be avoided in the first trimester [/b:w45oe3r8]and by women attempting to conceive, as they may increase the risk of miscarriage or malformations. [/i:w45oe3r8] [color=indigo:w45oe3r8]You're not in your first or third trimester so you'll be fine pet but if you're uptight about it give your doctor a buzz!! I remember taking Nurofen Plus for an unmerciful hangover in my first trimester (didn't know I was pg at the time and was 7 weeks pg) and when I told my consultant he said that baby was fine and he was!!!![/color:w45oe3r8]
DublinGirl Posts: 1307
Thanks so much girls. I really appreciate your replies. It's hard not to stress about these things. I nearly died though last night. I'm so careful. Panicking about drinking too much coffee (have 1 a week), not drinking a drop of alcahol etc etc. all the usual no no's. And then I go and do this? O:| O:| Thanks for putting my mind at rest.