Urine sample

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Girls at GP last week she said my urine showed up white cells and sent it off to lab for testing. Just got a call from GP and she said it results said it might be an infection or sample might of been contaminated. I never had symptoms so GP gave me perscription for augmentim and said take it if you get symptoms. Told nurse there I haven't taken it so she said if I get symptoms to drop in another sample to them for testing but otherwise it's fine and carry on as normal. Are urine infections harmful to baby? It doesn't hurt when I pee only symptom I would have it frequent urination but that would be part and parcel surely.
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
I know by you're posts that you HATE taken Antibiotics, but if there is white cells in you're Urine I would DEFINTELY take it... They can harm you and the baby sorry :o( it can lead to early delivery and problems with you're kidneys..... Bring another Urine sample in and get it tested again and if it does come back positive I'd be on to the doctor again ASAP. If you google "White cells in Urine when pregnant" you get all the details there. Contact you're doctor and see what she has to say?
agie Posts: 1107
LMS I had a uti, it was a mild one and i was hoping it would go away with cranberry juice but my sister told me that its more harmful not to take the anitbiotics than to take them so I went to the doctor got urine checked , like you he gave me a prescription and seny urine off to be tested. Then he rang the next day to say to start on the prescription as something had shown up in urine. did it take over a week for them to test your sample, it might have been contaminated but the anitbiotics i was prescribed dont cross the placenta so have no effect on babs.
breeze Posts: 1175
I too had a UTI and was ginen a antibiotic. I statred taking it straight away as i was getting sick and not able to keep anything down, that was from my consultant in the HSP I would start asap
The nurse said unless it's sore to pee or blood in urine then I should be ok. I think i'll ring them back and ask can I pop in to get urine tested again today. I was at GP Tuesday night and they rang with results this morning.
madmam Posts: 1294
I definately would. I had lots of UTIs during my pregnancy, even though I had no symptoms, only peeing A LOT, like 5 times during the night. I had all sorts of results which never really confirmed my worst fear - that the infection had spread to my kidneys. At one stage I went to the hospital and refused to leave till they gave me antibiotics as I had a really strong feeling I had an infection. They tested my urine and it came back as a possible kidney infection. After weeks of results coming back inconclusive. It seems I was too late though - 2 days later my waters broke at 31 weeks. Had DS at 33 weeks. I am convinced my infection was a part of my waters breaking, even though I had no pain on peeing, etc. Trust your instincts, take the antibiotics, cos believe me its better than the possible results of not takign them. Ps. Don't mean to scare you BTW *)
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Unless they tell you to definitely start taking it, I wouldn't. I had the same thing happen - they sent off a sample to be tested and came back and told me it's possible the sample was contaminated. I got them to test again and all was fine - get them to send off another test to be sure. If you do have an infection, yes the antibiotics will help, but if you don't, then taking them will do more harm than good. Hopefully07 I don't mean to be rude, but I think you could have worded your post a lot better, instead of just putting up something that sounds very scary (mentioning delivery problems and kidney issues) without offering proof that these things will happen to LMS. As for googling it......we all know you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. LMS, I would definitely see the GP again, let him/her know you're worried and request that another sample be tested, they should get it sent off for you. At least you'll know for sure then before you take what could be unnecessary medication. HTH
Thanks girls for all your replies. I asked SIL for advice as she's a trained midwife and public health nurse. She said the some of the tests aren't great and if I have no symptoms then I should be ok. She told me to drink lots of water and cranberry to try and flush it out and to keep prescription just incase I need it. It was playing on my mind all evening so this morning I popped into my GP's office and gave them another sample to send away. I asked receptionist to ask GP if I should take antibioitic to be on the safe side and she said she'd ask her but said what the nurse would of told me yetserday is what GP told nurse to tell me. So going to drink lots of water and cranberry and see how I go. I pee maybe once or twice at night. Thanks again girls for all your advice. BTW my urine has tested fine up to this point.
silíní Posts: 4219
I don't think lots of peeing during the night in pregnancy is necessarily anything sinister, i find i get this quite often on and off, in spells, and then other nights i only get up once. I always presumed this was just a symptom of pregnancy and all my urine tests have always come up clear.
GP reception rang me and said GP said unless I have symptoms then do not take augmentin. She said to wait for urine sample to come back before we do anything unless I develop symptoms. So this is what I am going to do.