Using moxa sticks to turn breech baby???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tras Posts: 1460
Picked up moxa sticks at acupuncturist today, has anyone here used them?? Your man in the shop showed me where abouts by my feet I should burn them, but do you do both of your feet at the same time?? And can you do it yourself (sitting up) or do you need someone to do it for you? He recommended doing it once or twice a day for 10 to 15 minutes...does this sound right?? His English was limited so not sure if I picked it all up right!!
TracyD Posts: 750
Yes that sounds about right. A couple of things before you use the moxa. It's best avoided if you have high blood pressure or any kind of infection. If you're having a healthy pregnancy then it's safe to use. Twice a day is the norm - once in the morning and once in the evening. Do you know if he gave you smokeless moxa? If not be sure to open all the windows and do it in a well ventilated area (maybe even outside if that's an option) It's probably easier to have someone else do it for you. Once the moxa stick is lit bring it close to the point just outside your little toe - when the heat becomes uncomfortable bring the stick away.....then bring it back in again. Do not touch the skin with the moxa stick and tap off the ash as you work. When you've finished with the stick you can put it in a jar with a tight lid or wrap it in tinfoil to extinguish it (don't put it in water) You'll probably feel plenty of movement while you're doing the moxa. Here's a really easy to follow video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLGfT4JAsY Best of luck with it ! Tracy
Toots12 Posts: 894
hi Tras, That's bad, he should definitely have at least demonstrated what to do, even if he wasn't able to tell you how to do it!! The point you need lies on the outside corner of the little toe, just on the outside part of the toenail - if you draw a line across the bottom of your toenail, and then down the outer edge of it, the point is where the 2 lines cross.. You should heat the moxa stick with a candle until it is warm in the middle (should be red with kind of ash on the outer edge). Then gently warm the point for about 20 mins, by holding the moxa stick close to it (but not close enough to burn it!!). You can do this on both feet twice a day for 5 days, then take a break for 5 days. If babs hasn't turned at this point, repeat the process. Also, you should only do this from week 35-36 onwards, as if it's any earlier, baby will probably turn itself anyway, so you don't want to risk turning it back the wrong way again! It's actually a lovely relaxing treatment, and you can either do it yourself, if you can reach, or else get hubby to do it for you. PM me if you'd like more info, and also take a look at Debra Betts' site - she's a renknowned Australian acupuncturist & midwife. http://acupuncture.rhizome.net.nz/Moxib ... erapy.aspx Best of luck!! xx
tras Posts: 1460
Thanks girls!!! Tried it last night, but the stick seemed to burn down very quickly.....will only do another 3 burnings I'd say. Is this normal??
Toots12 Posts: 894
yeah, 3-4 goes is probably about right. They're not too expensive so you should be ok. Hope it works for you!!!