very heavy bleed - but still a heartbeat?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

leo20 Posts: 309
I had 9 week scan the other day and all was fine, could see everything growing as it should and strong heartbeat. Then yesterday had a really heavy bleed, i was in work and just felt a surge of wet down below, went to bathroom and blood everywhere. No cramps or anything just like a little pop then blood. Raced into hospital and had another hour of heavy bleeding. Once bleeding had subsided i had an internal scan and amazingly heartbeat was still going. I stopped bleeding about 2 hours after i had started, but there was an awful lot of blood (sorry tmi but 3 full sanitary towels and soaked through my jeans) so naturally (after miscarrying 2 years ago and this being an ivf pregnancy) i was in tears and sure the baby was lost. When they showed me heartbeat on screen i was in shock and bawling again. How after loosing all that blood was there still a baby? Consultant wants to see me in 48 hours to see if heartbeat still going - i just dont know what to think, dont know what it was, or why it happened? Can anyone shed any light? I suppose i want to know if anyone has bled like that and baby was still ok - thanks
theoracle Posts: 7664
It is hard to know for sure, but it is possible that maybe you had an undetected twin pregnancy? It coudl also be a ruptured cyst though you would normally have pain with it or you might have fibroids or polyps that cause a bleed. Fibroids can bleed quite heavily for example. It sounds very encouraging that the baby bean is doing well so far, and PG it will stay that way. Sometimes heavy bleeds are possible without actually impacting the pregnancy. All the best wishes :babydust:
Luka Posts: 1904
God Leo20 what a fright you got, :action32 Now, I'm not a medical professional, but having had miscs myself, I know the fear. Having said that a "sudden" gush of blood like that couldn't possibly be from the baby/uterus, as your cervix is closed. esp with no pain & the baby's heart still going. Sounds like a vein might have popped, maybe in the vaginal canal. Thing is, if the first scan you had a few days ago was an internal scan, that could have aggravated a vein, this can happen. Also when I had my miscarriage the first time, I was passing (sorry TMI) straw like coloured liquid as well as blood, this was amniotic fluid. Your's definetly sounds more like a vein that was aggravated. Are you on medication with having had IVF?
Mrs W Posts: 2923
Hi Leo20, I have no advice for you but have had 2 mc's so I just wanted to say good luck. It sounds promising that the heartbeat was still there so maybe theoracle is right about a cyst or twin pregnancy. Will be thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed!! :heartbeat:
theoracle Posts: 7664
[quote="Luka":2zeo65bk]God Leo20 what a fright you got, :action32 Now, I'm not a medical professional, but having had miscs myself, I know the fear. Having said that a "sudden" gush of blood like that couldn't possibly be from the baby/uterus, as your cervix is closed. esp with no pain & the baby's heart still going. Sounds like a vein might have popped, maybe in the vaginal canal. Thing is, if the first scan you had a few days ago was an internal scan, that could have aggravated a vein, this can happen. Also when I had my miscarriage the first time, I was passing (sorry TMI) straw like coloured liquid as well as blood, this was amniotic fluid. Your's definetly sounds more like a vein that was aggravated. Are you on medication with having had IVF?[/quote:2zeo65bk] I am sorry Luka, but I have to correct you there. It is entirely possible for the bleeding to come from the uterus and for the cervix to open but for it not to result in m/c - as said twin pregnancy loss with bleeding, cysts, fibroids and polyps being an example, but also think of the women that have still had periods when pregnant - the cervix will slightly open to let the blodd flow out, this is not to be confused with dilation and the cervix opening in the context of a sponteneous m/c when you also experience cramps (the uterus contracting).
mama2E Posts: 670
just wanted to say Leo20 that something similar happened to me (no previous m/c & no IVF). I have a bad bleed at 13 weeks - and when I say bad I was woke from my sleep with an awful cramp (like diarrhea cramps TMI sorry) then went to the loo and gush - blood everywhere. Bleed for next 4 hours (not very badly but like a period). Like you went straight to hospital and all was fine. done internal and Doc could see i was still bleeding. It stopped that night. Needless to say I'm now almost 21 weeks and heading off for 20wk scan today. I have felt kicks over the last few weeks - so fingers crossed all is ok. Just thought that might help put your mind at rest - I know how scary it is. Fingers crossed all will work out ok for you and little baba xxx
OurYear Posts: 1002
Leo.. I had this aswell at around 7 weeks...I bled fairly heavily for about 2-3 hours. In my case it appeared that I had a twin pregnancy and the bleed was me loosing one - as it was an empty sac. I had to take it very easy fro a few weeks and they scanned me regularly - nearly every week up until about week 11 I think. LIke you it was IVF and I had had an early MC on the IVF before that....so when I bled I thought..."Not Again"...and it was the worst night of my life. ...but 7 months later out popped my little girl!
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Leo, you poor thing. You must of gotten a terrible fright. Great sign that there was a heart best. On ds2 I had a really heavy bleed at week 7 and was devastated thinking that baby was gone. Like you they found heart beat and then next week when I went back heart still beating strong. Have a very happy healthy little man jumping away in his jumperoo as I type. Please god all is ok Hun xxx
DaisyB Posts: 1708
you must have got such a fright! the same happened to me with ds1 it started around 6 ish weeks and it was a lot of bleeding i was convinced i was losing the baby, i must have went to epu in hospital about 5 times where they did an internal and saw the heartbeat said that the cervix was closed at that time but they could see from the scan that there was more blood to come but they couldn't tell why! They had no explanation for me they just said they were putting it down to a threatened miscarriage and to just go home and rest and not to lift anything heavy. I took 2 weeks off work and did nothing!! thank god all was fine and our ds is nearly 6 now. Hope everything will be alright for you too :lvs
rosiemama Posts: 3363
i lost a twin at 10 weeks and experienced the same as you - a sudden gush of blood that soaked through my clothes and bedsheets, no pain or cramps with it but i was convinced that it was a mc as there was so much blood. i had been for my booking scan a few days before and the dates weren't matching up to what i had so i was meant to go back in two weeks, and that had me worried as well. i had to wait in EPU for 3 hours and when i finally got seen i couldn't believe there was a heartbeat! DS2 is almost 2 now. i continued to experience bleeding for weeks after, but it was brown blood and just old blood that took time to work its way out. i was up at the hospital all the time in a panic, i'm sure they were sick of me! but they were so reassuring and said i was right to come in if i was worried. i had scans at all of my appointments as well. since it happened i've heard of a lot of others with similar experiences (for all sorts of reasons) as well who went on to have healthy babies. i hope that everything works out ok for you :lvs