very thirsty??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ginger2 Posts: 275
hi just in my first term and I am thirsty alot... I normally think water but in the evenings I seem to be very thirsty? Is this normal??
SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
I was the exact same during my 2nd pregnancy. Would be awake half the night drinking pints of water and it wouldn't make any difference, so it is normal for some people. But you should still check with you doctor because it can be a sign of gestational diabetes.
what is gestational diabetes??
Some women can develop diabetes during their pregnancy. I think its common enough, my SIL has it right now in fact. It's easily treated and goes away completely after you've had the baby as far as i know. So nothing to worry about, but it's no harm to get tested for it. One of the symptoms is constant thirst, so my doc tested me for it, but I didn't have it, so it can be just a normal part of pregnancy for some people.
thanks for that.WIll give doc a call on monday and see what he says... do i have to get a blood test done? thanks :wv
Can't remember for sure.......I didn't have to do one specially for it as far as i remember.....but it was almost 3 yrs ago so can't say for sure. I'm rhesus negative so was having blood tests done almost every visit, so i wouldn't have noticed an extra one.
Salander Posts: 1639
for gestational diabetes test they usually test your urine and they sometimes make you drink lucozade and then i can't remember if its another urine test or blood test they do - it basically tests to see how your body is absorbing the sugar.
gagamama Posts: 204
Hi Ginger2, I've had exceptional thirst throughout my pregnancy, up to about 25wks. I'd wake during night with Tongue stuck to roof of my mouth, even though I'd drink up to 3L during day. I'd easily go through a pint during the night. It was very annoying waking up so thirsty and of course having to go to the loo more ad a result.I mentioned it to doctor and she said it was common enough, and just to drink as much as possible during day. I haven't been as thirsty at night for the last 2 weeks but still drink bucket loads of water during day. Hope it settles down for you O-O
Dipsy80 Posts: 1038
The diabetes test I had consisted of fasting over night and getting a blood test done first thing in the morning. they they gave me some lucozade to drink, then I had to get blood tests every hour for 3 hours. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything else during this time. I didn't have it thank god. I always drink lots of water and found that I am always waking in the middle of the night really thirsty but didn't drink too much at night as I would have been woken again in the middle of the night to go toilet after drinking the water. lol
mommy bear Posts: 289
I was the same, especially in the last 7-8 weeks, absolutely parched, waking in the night with a dry mouth. Since having DS2 a week ago it's completely gone, now I have to consciously remind myself to drink more water!