Visiting in Hospital while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittysue Posts: 1016
Just wondering how safe is it to visit someone regurlarly in Hospital while pregnant. I've been in a few times now visiting a relation of DH.....and I'm just starting to freak a little..........what if I pick up something... I clean my hands with the blue stuff quite often while I'm there..... but I'm just thinking visiting the once was fine.....but is often just a few times tooo many.....???
rushinbride Posts: 1097
well depends really on the illness your DH's relation has...I mean if he is seriously contagious, or is getting radiotherapy or something i'd keep away, but other than that unless your told not to visit if your pregnant then it should be fine! i'd a pregnant friend recently who was accompaning her mother to hospital for tests etc, it was discovered her mam then had cancer so she was beginging radiotherapy a few days later, and that was the only time she couldn't visit and it was for 24hrs after her treatment...
mrs Posts: 673
I've been to the hosp about twice visiting people since I'm pg, I wouldn't go unless I really wanted to see person. Can I just ask about people with radiotherapy, what's that about, hadn't hears of it before? Is it okay to see people who would have got chemo?? Thanks.
winter09 Posts: 47
its fine- most hospital staff are female and there when pregnant. I would be reluctant to bring liffle ones in visiting but unless the parients are barrier nursed for vomiting bug or radiotherapy you would be fine.
OAT Posts: 2207
I was a regular visitor to see my Dad in hospital the whole time I was pregnant - the only time I couldn't go was when he had radiotheraphy
justwaitin Posts: 2462
i work in a hospital, and just have to be as clean as id ususly be.
kittysue Posts: 1016
Thanks girls....feel a bit better about going now.
Lilac Gerber Posts: 179
[color=indigo:gneitoim]Hey girls :wv I'm a nurse who works with people having radiotherapy and wanted to say that pregnant women are at no risk visiting people who are having radiotherapy unless they are having radioactive iodine treatment or continious internal radiotherapy(in which case they won't be allowed any visitors). There are restrictions on people who have had bone scans though. People sometimes might have these while having radiotherapy as tests but they would be told about them beforehand. They may also have these when they are initially diagnosed or as followups. They're not a routine part of radiotherapy treatment. Honestly, [b:gneitoim]people having radiotherapy are not radioactive[/b:gneitoim]. I know that I've spoken to patients who are worried about this and who sometimes feel isolated because people treat them as if they are. I'm 6 months(ish) pregnant and don't have to take any special precautions when I'm at work. I'd be the first one out the door if I thought I was putting Bean at any risk :xxx As for visiting hospitals generally, I'd go with what the previous posters said. I wouldn't be running to visit someone with anything infectious at home or in hospitals but otherwise I think normal hygiene covers other visits(the handrubs and handwashing) Sorry about the long post but I know it's something that worries patients and their visitors[/color:gneitoim]
nea dude Posts: 749
Lilac Gerber, considering you are medical staff I would assume you are vaccinated against varies different illnesses that may appear in the hospitals and would have all jabs up to date, whereas people from the general public may not be up to date with their jabs. This would mean you are in a safer position than the average visitor to a hospital. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I'm not saying it's unhealthy to visit someone, but there are out breaks of vomiting bugs etc from time to time and i'm sure a pregnant woman would be more at risk of catching these. Also the worry is not just about the particular person you are visiting, perhaps someone in the same ward as them has another illness that may affect a pregnant woman..... It's perfectly normal for people to be worried. I'm sure patients that you intend to visit would be more than understanding if you didn't go and see them under the circumstances.
gogglebox Posts: 910
I agree with Lilac Gerber and was just about to say the same about radiotherapy. I worked for many years as a radiographer, and only a small percentage of treatments will cause someone to be radioactive - as LG says, when someone has been given a radioactive injection of Iodine or something along those lines. Regular radiotherapy (which makes up most of the radiotherapy given) is just like having a regular x-ray - i.e. the patient is not radioactive and there's no risk whatsoever. There are plenty of pregnant radiographers working, so it's completely fine to visit someone who is having external beam (i.e regular x-ray type) radiotherapy. I wouldn't recommend visiting someone with something very contagious, but I certainly wouldn't be concerned with my health or my baby's health from visiting someone in hospital - you'll probably catch more germs on the escalator hand rail in the local shopping centre, or on the bus, or from the money in your purse... nea dude - I was only vaccinated against Hepatitis B as a special precaution - other than that, I had just the same immunity against disease as anyone on the street. At the end of the day it's what you're comfortable with, and only you know whether you're comfortable visiting, but hopefully this might make you feel a bit better about the visits so far, or any you make in the future. :wv