Volcano - would you book a summer holiday now?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
Just curious as to people's opinions on this. Given the way that the flights were disrupted today and yesterday and maybe again next week (as the wind will change back again) and the guy from the IAA is saying we will have a summer of disruption would you book a summer holiday now ? We booked our holiday last Jan and are due to go in June - we haven't been away in 2 years and by the time we go we will have saved for this for 18 months. we chose to go independently and if we can't go we will loose a considerable amount of money on accommodation and car hire which our Ins policy will not cover. It is unlikely we will be able to afford something like that again for another 2 years.
Doll Face Posts: 3721
yes i would still book even if i hadent already,Ive booked for August and im not to worried the disruption seems to only last a few hours at a time now worse case your flight might be delayed by a few hours !!! Have you taken out travel insurance ? That might cover you if your flights are cancelled ........
zoesmama Posts: 2774
:thnk Dollface. yesterday i wasn't worried about it as the disruptions only lasted 6 hours but today the airport closed from 11am to midnight and no guarantee it will re-open then. Have Travel Ins but they are saying they will not cover anything as Act of God - the airlines are refunding but we would loose all the money for the villa and car hire which is actually alot more than the flights themselves.
LadylovesChocolate Posts: 300
Yes i am very concerned about this too.We plan to go away at the end of the month although havent booked anything yet and feel like its a huge gamble now. Is there any chance if your flight got cancelled at the time you could go on a later date ..depending on whether the villa was available I guess. Its so depressing isnt it especially when you have waited so long for a holiday... O:|
ScaredyKat Posts: 365
Hi have you contacted the people you have booked the villa from? They might make a deal to refund some of money if you can't go. Maybe not but might be worth a try. Hopefully though it won't come to that. :wv
zoesmama Posts: 2774
we are due to fly from Dublin to Gatwick and then connect on to our destination. am seriously considering having a back-up plan of getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and driving to Gatwick. the ferry on the date in June costs just €120 for the car and the 4 of us.
daboy Posts: 229
some useful hints maybe to avoid having to fall back on travel insurance that doesnt want to pay..... a)[b:31iwak3a] book a package deal.[/b:31iwak3a] If you cant travel due to volcano issues then the package organisor has to offer you a replacement holiday on dates that suit or a refund if thats what you want. Its EU law. b)[b:31iwak3a] book hotels and car hire with the [i:31iwak3a][u:31iwak3a]option to cance[/u:31iwak3a]l[/i:31iwak3a]. [/b:31iwak3a] Most uk cheapo hotel websites require a prepayment[u:31iwak3a] in full[/u:31iwak3a] that [u:31iwak3a]you loose[/u:31iwak3a] if you dont turn up. Thats no good. A site that I often use is a german one http://www.hrs.com and 90% of the time the hotels they offer give great deals AND you normally pay nothing now and can cancel till the day of travel. Major chain hotels also normally allow cancellable flexible reservations for slightly more than paying the full whack now. Same with car hire, Hertz etc allow you to simply reserve and pay on arrival rather than pay in full now. (nothing to worry about on flights once its with a EUROPEAN airline, they have to refund in full if you cant travel, and if you are abroad they have to get you back and pay for accomodation abroad)
zoesmama Posts: 2774
[quote="daboy":3mth6w0q]some useful hints maybe to avoid having to fall back on travel insurance that doesnt want to pay..... a)[b:3mth6w0q] book a package deal.[/b:3mth6w0q] If you cant travel due to volcano issues then the package organisor has to offer you a replacement holiday on dates that suit or a refund if thats what you want. Its EU law. b)[b:3mth6w0q] book hotels and car hire with the [i:3mth6w0q][u:3mth6w0q]option to cance[/u:3mth6w0q]l[/i:3mth6w0q]. [/b:3mth6w0q] Most uk cheapo hotel websites require a prepayment in full that you loose if you dont turn up. Thats no good. A site that I often use is a german one http://www.hrs.com and 90% of the time the hotels they offer give great deals AND you normally pay nothing now and can cancel till the day of travel. Major chain hotels also normally allow cancellable flexible reservations for slightly more than paying the full whack now. Same with car hire, Hertz etc allow you to simply reserve and pay on arrival rather than pay in full now. (nothing to worry about on flights once its with a EUROPEAN airline, they have to refund in full if you cant travel, and if you are abroad they have to get you back and pay for accomodation abroad)[/quote:3mth6w0q] will certainly be following that advice in future but it's too late to change the fact that we booked independently now.
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
booked mine last week for the end of august, and didn't even think for one second about the volcano ash. It better not interfere with my holiday or else there will be WAR!!! :o0 :o0
dymo2 Posts: 787
I am booked to fly out on the 17th of May so finger crossed that we will ok booked with a travel agent so fingers crossed going to a weeding later in the year july and booked sepreatly that is more of a worry as we will not be covered