Menu

waking a sleeping baby, yes or no?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Momster Posts: 442
hi guys hoping i can get some advise on this. my son is two weeks old. he is taking 4 feeds a day as breast milk and 1 or 2 as formula. he drinks about 110-130 mls per feed. the PHN called over during the week. i mentioned to her that we were waking him during the night to feed. she said we should leave him alone and that he would wake when he was hungry. we did this the last two nights and he had a good feed at 10ish and slept straight through until 5am. he fed then and slept again until 9am and was fed every three to four hours thereafter. today we brought him to holles street for a check up and mentioned this to one of the nurses and she said we shouldn't be doing that and that we should be waking him... i dont know what to do. would you leave him or wake him? advice appreciated!
blondelle58 Posts: 217
If he was full term and a normal/good weight baby i personally wouldn't be waking him and i'd be thankful that he is sleeping so well already :wv Its a minefield but trust your instincts, if you feel he would need more food than wake him but if he's doing great then leave him to it and he's prob stocks up enough during the day. Its amazing how some babies find their own routine quickly. Best of luck
BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
Personally, I would leave him, but that's just me. My DD was exclusively breastfed and used to sleep from her last feed at 11pm until around 5am, feed and then sleep again for another 3-4 hours. It's annoying when they give conflicting advice but I'm a firm believer in following baby's lead.
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
I definitely would not wake a baby to feed them. If he's hungry he'll wake. I had to wake my little boy every 3 hours to be fed for the first two weeks because he was badly jaundiced. It was bliss when the gp said we could stop the 3 hourly night feeds...he started doing 5/6 hour stretches then.
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
I never woke either of mine at night for a feed. They were both term babies with no issues though. Unless he's a premie or there's a specific reason you need to get the feeds into him I'd leave well enough alone. I sometimes woke them during the day so that they wouldn't be waking at night but both of mine generally woke themselves!
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
[quote="blondelle58":2hfa3klo]If he was full term and a normal/good weight baby i personally wouldn't be waking him and i'd be thankful that he is sleeping so well already :wv [/quote:2hfa3klo] Totally agree with the above. Personally there is no way I would wake a sleeping baby to feed him. Ds1 was a good sleeper but ds2 is a terrible sleep so I am jealous of you tbh. My friends baby was like this and she was told by the doctor that if the baby was feeding well during the day not to wake the baby as a baby needs its rest as much as it would a feed at night and the baby will wake when it is hungry. It is awful though as we are always second guessing ourselves as mums. Congrats on the birth of you son btw.
Service Finder
pag Posts: 633
I would only ever wake a baby if there were issues over weight gain or jaundice. From personal experience he may not always sleep as well so it's better to grab the zzzzs when you can. If your little man is sleeping leave him be- soon enough he will tell you if he is hungry.
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
Hell to the no. I would let sleeping babies lie :o0 If he is sleeping he's obviously not hungry enough to be disturbed from his sleep. Unless I'm told to waken this baby I'll be going with the flow and grabbing sleep wherever I can.
Daff Posts: 11644
Midwife said that cause that's technically the right response - PHN gave you the honest truth though :o0 like a lot of things with babies, there are the guidlines and then there is the real world!!! trust me, let him sleep! get as much sleep as you can before the 3 week growth spurt! he won't sleep like that for long - wellusually, there are some miracle babies - so let him be and enjoy!
MammyG Posts: 565
[quote="Daff ":3nsqe3qa]Midwife said that cause that's technically the right response - PHN gave you the honest truth though :o0 like a lot of things with babies, there are the guidlines and then there is the real world!!! trust me, let him sleep! get as much sleep as you can before the 3 week growth spurt! he won't sleep like that for long - wellusually, there are some miracle babies - so let him be and enjoy![/quote:3nsqe3qa] +1 very good advice daff- I would never wake ds at night even though he was prem - pediatrician told us to feed every 3 hours during the day but leave him to sleep at night- unfortunately ds decided to continue to feed every three hours at night