Menu

Warning - Register Marriage

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

amthee Posts: 688
Hi girls, just thought I would share this with everyone because I got bit of a shock today. As you can see from my ticker we still have a good nine months left until we get married. I tried phoning my local office to register our marriage but had a few days of the phone ringing out. I wasn't overly concerned because we have loads of time... BUT today I finally got through to the office. I was looking for an appointment for sometime in October - our wedding is March. I knew that we have to register the date at least three months before our wedding date and I was just trying to be organised. I got bit of a shock that I couldn't get a date until the end of November! That's me phoning almost four months in advance of the date that I wanted! :eek :eek so word of warning ladies, if you haven't booked your appointment to register your date do so as soon as you can. Ours will be registered four months before the date which is fine but just a little warning for anyone who hasn't booked their appointment yet.
lorrbridetobe12 Posts: 369
Hi ya Can you not book in a different office that might not have such a long waiting list, might be something to think about.
Serenity2013 Posts: 76
Thanks for the heads up! :)
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
As far as I know it's standard practice for them to book your appointment for 3-4 months before the wedding, and no earlier. This leaves slots free for people who aren't so organised and don't book until the last minute!
stupidname2013 Posts: 924
Hey - yeah they won't have you in until near your time. I rang up and was told to ring back in August (we're getting married in March) as they need to deal with the summer weddings first.
FrenchToast Posts: 433
We were home in March and just called in thinking we may try even though we had no appointment and got it all sorted there and then. 14mths before the wedding. Green folder is at home for when we need it next year :o)ll Every region would have different capacity, the woman we dealt with the Stranorlar was great and so helpful.
spaced2012 Posts: 275
its likely because you have a wedding date 9 months away that they gave you an appt 5 months away. we booked out appt in dublin in late jan/early feb and got a date for end of feb, 2 weeks ahead of the 3 month cut off. they save dates for people like us :compress they'll keep any more current slots for those getting married in 4 months etc
amthee Posts: 688
You have to have it done at least three months before you get married but can usually book an appointment once it is around ten months from your wedding date (with my office anyway). I was told by the lady in the office that they only do them on a Monday and Tuesday and were booked up until the date they gave me and that was the next free date. A friend of mine left it a bit late looking for an appointment and ended up registering their wedding the day of the stag and left them with three months and two days notice!
Crystal Gal Posts: 464
We registered the end of April and when i rang we were able to get an appointment for the following week, it must depend where about you are, glad that bit is all sorted though.
atina Posts: 2240
depends where you are apparently dublin is hard to get appointments, i had no trouble getting mine in Drogheda