Was anyone upset by their GP? - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*Muffin* Posts: 7243
Belle, I had a similar experience with mine. I have a really good relationship with him, he's young and we get on. When I went to him, I was only a couple of days late, but had a BFP, and he refused to confirm it, said he was very distrustful of the early tests. And that anything could happen. Felt very deflated. At about 16 weeks he said he was surprised it all worked out, he really didn't think it would. I dunno, thought it was a very strange thing to say.
whackywoman Posts: 1496
[quote="Bam Bam":3h3v9nee]Oh dear God belle, i'm horrified your GP said that to you!!! Change your GP now and of course book your appointment with hospital, and don't spend another minute thinking of a m/c, yes they happen but you have to stay positive. My god i can't believe that, you poor poor thing, you must be in bits!! If you really are worrying, book in for a private scan for about 8 weeks to put your mind at rest.[/quote:3h3v9nee] Do what everyone is saying. What a complete idiot. You are not too late to go private if you want. If you can please complain about this GP as there are a lot of imcompetent ones out there
2to3 Posts: 182
Hey I just think you should really consider complaining - you dont want it to happen to another young woman and he clearly has no idea how insensitive he was being. My GP didnt even mention MC once. Think seriously about complaining - we dont do enough of it in ireland
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
What an assh*le! That's terrible. I'm glad you are changing GP's. I was upset by a GP (when my usual GP was on hols). I left the dr's surgery in tears and feeling really deflated and sort of stupid. But when I think back, HE was the one who should have felt stupid. Hope you're ok and don't worry about that ignoramus! >:o(
Finished here Posts: 2860
He did handle it very badly and insensitively and if he made you feel that bad i would consider changing gp too. Mine was similar but in a much more sensitive way, she confirmed the pg but warned about the risks and was very cautious in her advice i.e. no sex, no excercise, no lifting, no moving basically for first twelve weeks which is the opposite of everything i have read but i have been with her a while and she knows my history but it has kinda made me nervous too. We are going to New York in two weeks and i am afraid to tell her in case she says not to go :-8 but i have checked it out with others and online and in the books and i know that there is no risk ! Anyway go with your gut if you think he will react like this all the time then switch Gp you need someone you trust and can ask all the silly little questions !! By the way many many congrats
baby2008 Posts: 1254
Hi Belle1, That was very insenstive of your doctor. Would you consider changing? My doctor did tell me about the high risks of miscarriage but he said in such a nice way and not to be worrying. Your doctor should know better.
madhatter01 Posts: 495
Ignore the Bo**ox. thats way out of line, sort out another GP asap and book into hospital asap too! Ya poor thing thats an awful thing to say at one of the happiest times in your life!
ellee Posts: 666
`Yeah, mine really emphasised the risk of miscarriage too. Must be something they learn in gp school! He sounds like he was really dismissive though, v strange. I went at 6w and he confirmed it and referred me on etc etc. Really weird. Hope you've changed GP, doesn't sound like he has much empathy with his patients.
McMummy Posts: 1041
God that's terrible I had a horrible GP too and stupidly stayed till my 3rd visit before moving but thankfully I did. He made some totally inappropriate comments and started giving out that he wouldn't get paid for combined care for nearly 2 years and this was the height of his concern for me. I found a female GP and she was much more caring.
LoveACuppa Posts: 296
Hey belle1, First of all, congrats on your BFP. That's wonderful news. Secondly, jack in that GP and find someone with a nicer bedside manner. What an insensitive weird assh0le! My GP never mentioned MC, just said that anything can happen in the 1st 12 wks so to take it easy, avoid soft cheese, drink & smoke in moderation, etc. Don't let him stress you out. Just move to someone else, maybe write a letter of complaint to him and whatever medical board is appropriate when you feel ready, and most of all mind yourself, take it easy and enjoy your pregnancy. Wishing you a very healthy and happy pregnancy and a warm welcome to P&B. :thnk