Wash or Not - New Baby Clothing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

IckleStar Posts: 362
Everyone has an opinion on this but i want to see what is the general opinion of wollies on this...
milis Posts: 7998
Definately! You've no idea where those clothes were stored along their way!!!
topgearbride Posts: 12
Sure am washing everything, I didn't the first time round and my poor little babs came out in a horrible rash, needless to say EVERYthing was thrown straight into the wash then!! So I'll have everything washed this time round!!
absolutely everything milis or just like the vests that will be in direct contact with babys skin? BTW...have you all this done and prewashed stuff in your hospital bag ready for D-day?....
Aurge Posts: 1456
Hiya Rosco :wv Yep I washed absolutely everything, vests,sleepsuits, mittens, hats, cardigans. The lot. Not only do you not know where the clothes have been but other people that have picked them up in the shops to have a look etc, god knows where there hands were :o0 Washed dried and ready for babs to wear them.
milis Posts: 7998
[quote="rosco":3ewpe1y8]absolutely everything milis or just like the vests that will be in direct contact with babys skin? BTW...have you all this done and prewashed stuff in your hospital bag ready for D-day?....[/quote:3ewpe1y8] I figure everything will be in contact with their skin some way or another! I put vests, babygros, sheets, blankets, towels and hats in the wash this week... it all added up to one washload :o0 They're in the airing cupboard (sp?? I don't think I ever wrote that word before!!!) now, I'll put them in my bag in a couple of days.
Hey Aurge..:wv :o0 ..better get my bum off this so and crank up the washing machine ..keeping in mind my SIL -To be has been buying clothes for the last 4 months non stop.....it might take a while :) this is going to kill me , all the little things looks so cute and new....
ellee Posts: 666
I really think this is SUCH a lot of nonsense. Talk about making work for yourself over what? Unless you're buying the baby clothes at a market or something? Personally I think the detergents you wash the clothes with are more likely to leave residue that irritates the baby's skin than the original clothes before you washed them. And I use non bio powder. That is my experience anyway *)
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
I'm washing everything - have done already!! Thought it would be a bit of a nightmare to do but I really enjoyed doing it! They smell fab afterwards too and are very soft. Sure jsut think of all the finger-prints on the clothes - eugh!!! I've now started washing my own new clothes now before wearing them too!
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
God I must be the worst mother EVER!! I washed NOTHING!!! DS was fine & still is, I've never used a non-bio either, all his stuff just gets bunged in with ours. :eek I'm going straight to hell.