Washing baby clothes for first time

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

disguise Posts: 41
Hi girls, does anyone have any tips for washing baby clothes for the first time (sleep suits, baby grows etc)? Is it ok to use a non-bio powder? Should we use fabric softner? Does it have to be a special one? What temp should we wash the clothes at for the first time? THANKS...
neeov Posts: 4256
I used fairy non bio liquid, but I am sure powder is just the same. I used no softener, because I never use it. fabric softeners are made from animal fats. http://www.essortment.com/home/fabricsoftener_svoi.htm I washed at 30 degrees and dried on the clothes horse. This is how I would normally clean my own clothes (exceot I usually use a different non bio detergent)
hipbaby Posts: 4530
HI if its not organic cotton then yes I would wash for the first time! Use non bio or better still just wash with bread soda and bio d powder as they are the gentlest for newborns skin! HTH www.hipbaby.ie
april09babs Posts: 926
Hi I washed babs clothes with fairy non bio and a small amount of comfort pure softner at 40 degrees. I dried them on clothes horse and then through the drier for 30 minutes on a low heat. Everything came out soft and like new.
summerbaby Posts: 4
I was wondering about this myself!! So all new baby clothes and blankets should be washed before using them???
Emomc Posts: 2069
Hi again summerbaby! I posted on this a few weeks ago. Yes I think it is best to give them a quick wash as outlined by previous posters. Clothes and blankets are clean off course but can have chemicals in them from packaging or even just from the factory/shop. I did all of mine on Patricks Day and my hubbie came home and asked "did you have the baby while I was at work???! :o0 . I also left mine in the airing cupboard for a few days.
Mammy rigomad Posts: 958
I actually washed mine yesterday! Used Fairy Non Bio gel tablets and the Comfort conditioner.I just washed them on a quick 30 degree wash and have them on the clothes horse! Going to do the same with the bedding and maybe the blankets too!
disguise Posts: 41
Awww, thanks everyone. It's good to know. Have mine in the wash now. It's very exciting!