Menu

Washing new baby clothes??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

star sun 1 Posts: 1456
Hi Girls, A few people have told me that all baby clothes you buy or receive as presents need to be washed before you can put them on your new born baby?? Is this true? Apparently your baby can get a skin reaction if they are not washed beforehand??
micksmrs Posts: 931
They don't have to be washed as a rule but i think its just that you wouldnt know what kind of an enviornment they were manufactured in or what the people that made them were doing (ie. playing catch around the factory with them) before they got packaged away. For me I washed them all in case they had a little dust mite or were handled by a lot of people in the shop before I bought them.
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
Yeah Ive heard that too, we plan on washing ours, suppose hadnt really thought of the ones we received as presents but yeah probably will have to do them too, Im gonna grab some Fairy non bio the weekend and start even washing the blankets 1st and then going onto vest and babygros
Mrsexcited Posts: 927
I would wash them star sun as the others said not sure of the environment they were in before being packed. just to be on the safe side. get fairy non bio its great for baby clothes.
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
Up to each individual person! I didn't wash anything that went on dd and don't plan on washing anything this time around either. DD never had any reaction to anything. i use non bio on all our clothes anyway but ages ago got a box of bio by mistake and dd never had any reaction to that either! Now she was about 1 at that stage though! I only noticed it was bio when I started coming out in a rash behind my knees and went looking for the source! :duh: :duh:
happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
i have washed all the bits i got already but im sure i wont go washing the pressies of clothes we will get once babs is born, prob wont have time. i always find that washing any clothes makes them all go out of shape anyway & they look old & tatty. must be my washing machine
HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
Star sun. There can be a chemical residue left on clothes from the manufacturing process (you just have to smell some of them to notice this) so it is recommended that you was the clothes first particularly ones that are next to the baby's skin - such as vests. As people say you don't have to but it is generally recommended. I still wash new clothes for DS before I put them on him and he is 16 months now. Particularly things like baby grows vests and trousers as they come in contact with the most skin.