Water tanks/pipes and leaving the house for 1 week - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

teapotty Posts: 2085
Oh Jane Smith you are great for the plumbing advice! Ever thought about a second career??
zoesmama Posts: 2774
Where does the hot water come from ?? Does the water in the tank in the attic get heated or does this just supply the cold water to the house (bar the kitchen sink) ? Is the hot water tank somewhere else ? God I wish I understood plumbing !
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
[quote="teapotty":rypwd1fx]Oh Jane Smith you are great for the plumbing advice! Ever thought about a second career??[/quote:rypwd1fx] I was just thinking this! You're very knowledgable (Sp?) Jane!
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
[quote="zoesmama":1vb6lt9k][quote="Jane Smith":1vb6lt9k][quote="zoesmama":1vb6lt9k]Ok Question for you Jane Smith - if we turn off the mains and empty the tank in the attic before we leave can we still leave the heat on while we are gone - the timer on the boiler does not allow me to separate heat and water - so if i have the heat timed to come on the water is automatically heating too - is this ok ?[/quote:1vb6lt9k] Oooh, good question and I don't know the answer to it now zoesmama. I have gas heating and it would be ok but I don't have a boiler like you refer to. I know in our home house years ago we would have had a back boiler and you would have to have water there to heat otherwise you could have cracked the pipes. But that was the old system where the boiler would be behind the range. It might be worth giving a buzz to a plumber to check that point out.[/quote:1vb6lt9k] No we have Gas heating too. But the timer still has only 2 options - 1 is for HW only and the other is Heat & HW. Really want the heat to be coming on while we are gone.[/quote:1vb6lt9k] Ok, well that sounds exactly like what we have and for two weeks last year, we had no water coming into the house, I had emptied my tank in the attic (there is only so much one can do to conserve!!!) and I still had my heating on every day and it didn't do any damage. Teapotty, this time last year I knew nothing!! By God, did I learn fast...... :o0
:thnk Jane Smith think we will do that so. [quote="zoesmama":1v7hgcuy]Where does the hot water come from ?? Does the water in the tank in the attic get heated or does this just supply the cold water to the house (bar the kitchen sink) ? Is the hot water tank somewhere else ? God I wish I understood plumbing ![/quote:1v7hgcuy] Any thoughts on the above ?
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
can you turn off the water completely? no water=no flood
[quote="zoesmama":rp1nm8mp]Where does the hot water come from ?? Does the water in the tank in the attic get heated or does this just supply the cold water to the house (bar the kitchen sink) ? Is the hot water tank somewhere else ? God I wish I understood plumbing ![/quote:rp1nm8mp] Your hot water tank is more than likely in your hotpress!! The big copper one with all the padding around it. The cold water comes in from the mains outside....directly to your cold tap in your kitchen...and as I discovered this year, I have a downstairs toilet and sink and they are also plumbed directly to the mains which means I should actually be able to drink that water also. :-8 The mains also supplies your tank upstairs and this in turn supplies the rest of your house, including hot and cold taps, toilets etc but it is stored up there in meantime. Obviously the water from the hot taps is coming via the hot tank (usuallly in hotpress) where it's getting heated in first place. Electric showers are kinda a thing unto themselves however. Their water supply can come from either place. A lot would depend on the water pressure of your mains, if it wasn't strong enough a pump may have been added or alternatively it may have been plumbed from the tank in attic instead. As has been advised and suggested on numerous occassions, it should be manageable to maintain the flow in the tank upstairs and the internal pipes to rest of house by opening trap door, getting heat to attic, infra-red bulb etc. It's when these pipes freeze that wreckage is caused. The frozen water expands inside the pipes so when the thaw sets in, the pipes crack and the water leaks and floods all over the place. For me and many others though, it's the bloody mains outside that freezes mainly because pipes haven't been laid deep enough. But what do you do when you've bought a mass production house, the builder is more than likely gone bust and the council don't want to know either. While you still have the water that's stored in your tank, everytime you shower, flush a toilet, run the hot taps etc that's emptying and there's nothing coming in to refill it. Going about your normal daily business, this wouldn't last more than two days. I'd imagine a washing machine would probably empty the tank in one go!! The only long term and correct solution really is to take on the cost of digging up the pipes yourself, insulating them and laying them deeper. It's something we are going to have to seriously consider after this winter. I must check out Home-Bond though as they issue guidelines as to how deep pipes should be laid so maybe if those hadn't been adhered to, I might be able to claim somethign towards the cost that way. The other temporary and not so good solution is going back to running taps unfortunately and well, we'll leave that debate for the other thread!!! :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Thanks Jane !! have another prob now - the sink in the main bathroom is not draining at all now. have tried plunging it and tried Plug-Hole unblocker but nothing working. The bath & shower in the same room are draining fine as are all the other sinks / plugholes in the house. Any ideas ?
[quote="zoesmama":2mcody73]Thanks Jane !! have another prob now - the sink in the main bathroom is not draining at all now. have tried plunging it and tried Plug-Hole unblocker but nothing working. The bath & shower in the same room are draining fine as are all the other sinks / plugholes in the house. Any ideas ?[/quote:2mcody73] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: I'm completely chancing my arm here zoesmama but is there any chance there might be water frozen along the pipes somewhere?? Try pouring a kettle of boiling water down and see if you've any luck!!
Done ! No change yet ! Wondering why it's the sink only though as would have thought that the bath and shower would drain into the same pipe but maybe not ?! You'll have to start charging soon !