Wearing Black to a Wedding - yes/no???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NYB2010plus1 Posts: 114
Hi Girls, :wv Just thought i'd ask this question to see what the general feel is, i'm going to a wedding next weekend and i havent found a thing in the shops that i like.. i did however come across a gorgeous skirt & top in Coast but they're black.... is this a big no no?? What is your opinion? Mam thinks i shouldnt wear black but i really havent seen anything else that i like...... HELP :eek
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Hey, I've often worn black to weddings, as have many of my friends. I don't see any problem with it. If you didn't want to wear all black you could accessorize it with an accent colour through a wrap or shoes/bag.
mrsandmr Posts: 366
I love black at a winter wedding but I'm not so sure during the summer. Hope you get sorted!
Nadie Posts: 1111
It's not a big no-no at all. Personally I don't like it and if I was in your position I'd try to brighten it up with jewellery, shoes and a wrap but then I wouldn't wear a black outfit anywhere except a funeral! So many people wear black to weddings these days - it wasn't the done thing in our mams' day but you can do what you like now! Buy the outfit!
curlysu Posts: 811
I've been at a couple of weddings this year, and there were loads of people in black, I wouldn't worry about it all ! As caitf84 said, you can use jewellery/bag/shoes to brighten it up.
MrsPixie Posts: 130
I wouldn't do it especially if it's a close friend's wedding. I was disappointed that a few girls wore black to our wedding. It's so depressing looking and looks like you haven't made an effort. A wedding is meant to be a joyous occasion. If you do choose to wear the black jazz it up a bit with some colour i.e. a bright fascinator or colourful shoes and bag.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I wore a black dress to a wedding in March. I jazzed it up a bit with a pink corsage and a cream ribbon under the bust instead of the black one that came with it. I don't see anything wrong with wearing black at all.
Elban26 Posts: 2458
I've been to 4 weddings this year so far, and only one of them was 99% black free zone, the others had a lot of black nad black&white so if you feel comfortable in the black then wear it, as the posters above said you can jazz it up!! Enjoy the day!
nothingdone Posts: 184
I wore black 3 weeks ago to a wedding and a few others had black too.
bride301009 Posts: 66
I have worn black to almost every wedding i have been to and most of those were in the summer i dont think it makes a difference , got my bridesmaid dresses yesterday and .............................. there black!!!!!!!