weather in portugal

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

superduperexcited10 Posts: 1468
Hi all, jsut wondering if anyone has been to portugal the end of september?? faro i think it is.......was it warm?? *) thanks
anyone??? :wv
Senorita Posts: 3413
The below is an extract from www.holidayweather.com/algarve Hope it's of some help. What resort are you thinking of staying in? "Summer, from June till September, is filled with long days of brilliant sunshine and soaring heat. The average high temperature starts out in the pleasant mid 20s then gets up to a peak of 28ºC in July and August. September gets back down to 26ºC. It is the fringe months of June and September that are perhaps the most comfortable in terms of heat. In the peak months daytime temperatures can rocket up into the mid 30s and night time lows rarely get below 20ºC. Cooling sea breezes help to take the edge off the heat as do the moderately low humidity levels. If rather than from the north the wind comes from the south, up from Africa, temperatures can rocket. The sirocco wind that originates in the Sahara brings with it extreme heat, aridity and sometimes even sand. The sun shines in ten or more hours per day on average for the entire season. Rainfall is so low it’s hardly worth mentioning. The average sea temperature gets up to 21ºC which is cool in comparison to the Mediterranean but more than warm enough for a long swim – remember that this is the North Atlantic Ocean. Autumn, in October and November, is very warm with an average high temperature of 22ºC in October and 19ºC in November. November night times, however, can be very chilly at an average low of 13ºC. Rainfall does increase but only to around 50 mm which is unlikely to cause more than a brief inconvenience. It usually falls in brief thunderstorms that come in from the Atlantic. While sunshine levels are good for autumn they are dramatically reduced from the Algarve’s summer sunshine levels. October sees around eight hours per day and November sees around six. This is a great time to visit the region to enjoy a sporting holiday rather than a beachbum break, for instance to go walking or sailing. There are fewer tourists in this season and accommodation prices are generally lower."
ahh thanks a mill, :thnk we are now thinking of going in mid Oct which still seems to be in the early 20's, i have been to montechero before and loved it.....any recommendations??? thanks a mill :wv
Mid October, I would probably look at the old town of Albufeira. Lovely restaurants, nice bars, some with live music, pretty shops. Flights with aerlingus are good value at the moment (was checking them for my parents earlier), so you could book online, and have a great choice in hotels. The Rocamar overlooks fishermans beach, so in a great location. Sol-E-Mar Hotel is also supposed to be nice. HTH
Just to ad, that you will be taking a chance weatherwise. It could be nice and sunny, or you might get rain. You would probably need long sleeves in the evening time.
sorry now stupid question but the flight gets into FARO how far from Albuferia is that?? and is it a better town to go to that time of year so ?? thanks for you help :thnk
No, it's not a stupid question. Albufeira (old town) is about 25-30 mins max from Faro airport. Personally, I would recommened Albufeira Old town, rather than Albufeira new town (also known as the strip) or Montechorro. But that is just me personally :thnk
katgirl Posts: 1258
hey im going to albafera in aug, thanks for the info about the weather and that, looking foward to sunning myself!!