Wedding Cake DIY

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jennie22 Posts: 56
Did anyone make their own wedding cake?! :lvs
sciencegirl Posts: 428
In the process of doing it and loving it.... not as cheap as I thought initially but loving the personal touch. Also learnt an extra skill by doing the cake icing course which I have put to good use for friends birthdays, christenings etc.
dewdee Posts: 444
well, my FMIL and my auntie are baking it - all fruit cake, and I'm icing it myself... as its fruit cake i can ice it a good few weeks in advance so hopefully I can cope with the pressure! did a wedding cake decoration course and am just keeping it very simple and classy.
Rockys Lover Posts: 194
SIL making our fruit layer My mum is making lemon drizzle cake I'm making chocolate biscuit cake - first trial last weekend was disaster, tasted yummy but crumbled when cutting so you got big chunks instead of dainty slices - more practice required
I agree with you science girl about it not being as cheap as expected - once you do an icing course and get all the necessary tools and buy ingredients (especailly for a fruit cake!) it all adds up... Can I ask you how much practcie you've done? I'm planning on baking a fruit cake this weekend that I can practice on a few times! have you had any issues getting your icing smooth? I'm a little nervous!
Rockys Lover - could you add more golden syrup or butter to prevent the cake from crumbling so much?? Definitely calls for more practice cake making >:o) >:o)
I've done about 8-9 cakes for friends and family which were my major training sessions. It was amazing how each cake got better and faster. My favourite tools are on the links below. They really do make a difference when it comes to getting smooth sharp edges on the icing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDGERS-CAKE-SMOOT ... 7C294%3A50 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDGERS-PRESTIGE-S ... 7C294%3A50
Thanks science girl, brilliant tools! just ordered my top edge shaper - had the flat one already :) 9 cakes is quite an accomplishment - I'm gonna get baking!
Rockys Lover Posts: 194
Hi Sciencegirl - am going to try it with more butter this weekend, also my fsil has a "Cadburys" cookbook she is going to lend me, she is sure there is a receipe in that - diet will be right out the window though!
Chocolate biscuit cake making is hard - spoonful for me, spoonful for the tin :yelrotflmaosmilie: :o0 :yelrotflmaosmilie: :o0