Wedding Dress-can't find THE ONE!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gem07 Posts: 191
Hi all Well the search is still on for dress-getting married in Oct this year. I have tried a few hbidal boutiques-seen one or two possibilities, but just still waiting to try on a dress and know it's THE ONE! I'm tormented now from it all. Have any of ye gone through this and how did ye decided on dress in the end??
wishin&hoping Posts: 3666
Hi Ya. I know that feeling. I am getting my dress made. I liked pieces of dresses but no one dress blew me away. Maybe should maybe should consider this option
Twirler Posts: 1644
I don't think everyone necessarily feels that. I tried on tons of dresses and I love the one I ended up with but it wasn't like I tried it on and knew immediately that was my dress. I liked it, but I liked plenty of others too.
molly moo Posts: 363
You're not alone the dress I got I absolutely love :o)ll but I didn't experience the whole tears, this is the one etc... :eek After a while to me it was a blur of white, ivory etc.. :-8 You will come across a dress that you are completely happy with and feel comfortable in too but I wouldn't be worried if you're not shedding tearsnwhen you do!! Good luck with your search :thnk
Do you have any idea of what kind of dress you want Gem? Maybe you could put a post up of where to find a certain style??
emma1980 Posts: 2219
was just goin to suggest the above.....
kellyk Posts: 634
I think you can go to too many shops and get really confused.... Pick a few designers you like the style of and go where they are stocked... I thought I found the one, got pretty obsessed about it but when I went back again and put it back on... decided it was not! :o( I then went back to a previous shop and tried on a dress I remembered liking on last visit and LOVED IT!!!!!! I don't know what happened to change but loved it, didn't want to take it off!!!!! Needless to say....I ordered it that day! Can't wait to wear it now! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
frankensteins wife Posts: 1838
Another suggestion is to try on dresses that you would have maybe ruled out, for example - if you said you don't want lace, try on a dress with lace because when they are on they can look completely different. I said at the beginning that I didn't want straps, lace, beading etc and that I wanted simple and fitted. I tried on these type of dresses to begin with in the first few shops and wouldn't budge and while I liked most of these dresses, I just didn't feel like they were the 'one' Then while in another shop the assistant took out a dress for me to try on last that was everything I said I wouldn't wear (apart from it being fitted) I honestly didn't like it on the hanger but the second I had it on I fell in love with it. So basically keep an open mind to what people suggest, and try on different styles. Good luck with shopping, you will find a dress that is perfect for you :wv
blueswallow Posts: 1244
I agree with frankensteins bride about how important it is to try on things you mightn't usually consider. I ended up with a dress that was opposite in almost every way to the one I thought would suit me best. That being said, I kept wondering if it was 'the one' - eventhough I did get the experience where I and my mother and bridesmaids burst into tears at the sight of me in it. However, that was months ago and it's amazing how niggling doubts can creep in. I was even beginning to wonder if I was just 'settling' for that dress cos I couldn't find anything nicer. Anyway, I went back to order the dress this weekend. As I was also trying to make decisions about what jewellery to wear on the day, I brought the pieces I had with me and tried them on with the dress and I fell in :lvs with it all over again. Now I have no doubts whatsoever. I think that, with time and distance, it can be difficult to remember how you felt when you tried on a dress in a shop. And sometimes all you have to look at in the meantime is a picture of a moody-looking model wearing your dream dress. It's no wonder we start to doubt ourselves! Also, remember the accessories work with the dress to create the look you want, so sometimes the dress in isolation might not give you the overall picture you want to have of yourself on the day.
woohoo09 Posts: 630
like some of the others, I was starting to think I'd never get that 'feeling' too. I'd tried on loads and to be honest, could have happily walked up the aisle in any of them! then I put on one that the shop assistant suggested. I didn't like it as it was exactly what I didn't want (strapless and had lace around bottom). when I put it on, I didn't want to take it off! :o0 There was no moment of inspiration or fireworks or any of that. (well Mum cried in fairness) I just loved it. I tried on a few more, but kept looking at the one I loved and in the end I wanted to put it back on again and couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror. I agree that you should try on lots of different styles. I have bought the opposite of what I thought I would buy. also, listen to the shop assistant. most of them can tell what would suit you...... it is their job! Don't get disheartened dolly. enjoy it! :wv