Wedding Dress Shopping - Advice needed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Pam27 Posts: 280
Hi All, Im getting married in September 2013 and Im going to start wedding dress shopping on Sat the 19th Jan. Just wondering if anyone would recommend any shops round the Louth area? Can you advise what type of budgets are catered for? Do u pay a deposit or is the whole amount required up front? thanks!
pambo24 Posts: 18
Hi Pam, You should defo make an appointment with "The White Rooms" in Mullingar- they have a fantastic range of dresses all varying in prices etc. I am getting married in May and so already have my dress- the norm is that you pay a deposit up front- usually about 50% of total price of dress and then pay the rest on collection. I have been a bridesmaids for my best friend and sister in the last 3 years and so have trapsed all over Dublin bridal shops and found that the white rooms has a much better selection, with unique designers at really competitive prices- a must see and they're really nice and friendly there too! Just a quick note though that you should, if you haven't already, get wedding insurance- it just covers you in case ANY of your wedding suppliers go out of business- well worth the €140 in my book- have heard horror stories of brides paying for dresses then having the shop close down and this way your covered for all aspects of your wedding including venue, dress, rings...the lot! Happy wedding dress shopping- soo exciting! :hyper: Fellow Pam
mshelly Posts: 746
You should be prepared to pay 50% of the cost of the dress once you have ordered it. Wedding Insurance isn't a necessity, especially if you pay for your purchases with a credit card. I would highly recommend trying to make appointments for during the week as you will then have much more time in the shops and won't feel like you are rushed. There are some lovely bridal shops in Kildare as well that I would recommend, in particular Truely Bridal (I am biased as I found my dress in this shop). If you are on a budget say it to the shop, that you are only interested in trying on dresses that cost €X amount or less. It is better to be up front about this than fall in love with something way outside your budget and then be upset when you realise you can't afford it. Don't put on fan tan as some bridal shops won't let you try on their dresses. Wear nude underwear and bring a pair of shoes roughly around the heel height you are considering wearing on the day of your wedding. I would also recommend bringing a bottle of water, some baby wipes and a bottle of deo. It is hard work climbing into and out of some of the dresses. :eek
Creampuffnut Posts: 79
Hello and congrats! :) If you are focusing on Louth I would recommend taking a trip to Drogheda, there a a good few shops within walking distance of each other. The Bridal Studio - Lovely to deal with and very reasonably priced dresses Frilly Frocks - Again lovely to deal with, prices are more expensive here I found but depends on the dress I guess! Ophelia Bridal - Lovely little shop but not enough selection for me Protocol - Didnt go here myself Edel Tuite: Again I didnt go myself and this shop would be outside the actual centre town but very close. Have heard great reviews fo her though! +1 to bringing a bottle of water I had a pounding headache from dehydration after a day of dress shopping! HTH Have a great time shopping! :)
Thanks everyone, was planning on starting off my search in Drogheda - Ophelia and then the Bridal Studio in Drogheda. Has anyone any experience of these? Maybe the next day out try Frilly Frocks? Have heard very good reports about Edel Tuite too! how long do appointments usually last? Is there anywhere in Meath/Monaghan that you would recommend?
jeanniejampots Posts: 378
Edel is fab but I am biased as loved my dress that she designed and made for me. You pay a deposit with Edel and rest on collection. Can't recommend her enough.
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
[quote="Pam27":lqwuwiez]Thanks everyone, was planning on starting off my search in Drogheda - Ophelia and then the Bridal Studio in Drogheda. Has anyone any experience of these? Maybe the next day out try Frilly Frocks? Have heard very good reports about Edel Tuite too! how long do appointments usually last? Is there anywhere in Meath/Monaghan that you would recommend?[/quote:lqwuwiez] I didn't like Ophelia or Frilly Frocks, I felt they didn't listen to what I said I liked and didn't like, in both places they ignored styles I picked and tried me in three dresses that were nice on but really weren't what I wanted. Neither said there was a limit of three but I didn't feel trying more was an option. I thought The lady in Ophelia was seriously unimpressed that I had brought three people with me and didn't really want them in her shop! Bridal Studio was not as plush as the other two but they were fab, I tried on half the shop and I really thought she listened to me and what I liked rather than what she thought looked good on me - once she had an idea of that she picked similar styles but did throw in random other dresses "just in case" Appointments lasted about 40 mins to an hour
Thanks very much for all your replies. Im excited/terrified! Would you have any idea what price region would be reasonable in Louth/Meath/Monaghan? Im on a serious budget and dont want to blow it as I usually end up doin!!!!
Char27 Posts: 376
I tried loads in Louth. In Drogheda I went to the Bridal Studio, Frilly Frocks and Ophelia and liked them all. In Dundalk I went to Modern Fashions and Butterflyz and Angels. Then I went to Newry and tried Perfect Day and the Bridal Loft but cant recommend either of them. Ones I can recommend though in Newry are Breeezze and Elody. I got my dress in Elody in the end and found them great.
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
[quote="Pam27":rf39skmt]Thanks very much for all your replies. Im excited/terrified! Would you have any idea what price region would be reasonable in Louth/Meath/Monaghan? Im on a serious budget and dont want to blow it as I usually end up doin!!!![/quote:rf39skmt] Bridal studio had some at about 800 and I didn't notice any over 1500 Frilly Frocks were up to 3k Ophelia 1300 - 2k for what I saw but I didn't see too many