Wedding drinks. - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cremebrulee Posts: 8546
Haven't decided yet. Will definitely be having wine and a drinks reception though.
2009 Bride Posts: 990
We are having wine for the tables which we will top up for the toast.
s wife Posts: 1445
at the start i had said no wine just the open toast but about 2 weeks before hand i was giving a few bob towards the wedding and what we did was paid for enough wine that would give everyone a glass and a half of wine with their main course which didnt work out as much as i thought at the start
marriedLife Posts: 1881
I was speaking with a friend of mine who works in the hotel industry and hence is involved in alot of weddings. She said from what she has seen that people generally do 2 out of 3. So they either have [u:1p4stgq0]welcome drinks reception and wine[/u:1p4stgq0] [b:1p4stgq0]or[/b:1p4stgq0] [u:1p4stgq0]toast and wine[/u:1p4stgq0] - she said there are a few that do three but generally two out of the three are done. I am doing wine & toast. One thing I noticed from previous weddings is that the older generation expect a toast and mention it when their isn't one - where as once there is tea/coffe on arrival no one mentions "Oh there was no drinks reception" iykwim. This is what I have seen from my experience the older people say "Oh there was no toast drink" and the younger people say "God I didn't even notice" so seen as we have tea & coffee on arrival we are going to have the toast instead of welcome drinks.
nomla Posts: 787
It all depends on when the toast will be. If your speeches are before dinner; then so is your toast; and our hotel has advised that under no circumstances will the toast drink be ordered and given out in time. Therefore we are having wine only. My dad is not impressed he is not a wine drinker but as he is at the top table there will be a different drink for him. I personally believe it is adding expense on. You are not going ot please everyone. I've been to weddings with all three and been to weddings with none. It wasn't commented on either way. From experience people usually walk into the reception with a drink so they will be fine. If you have the room in your budget have it; but personally it will be money towards our honeymoon!!
Little Miss Chatterbox Posts: 1362
would have a toast if I could afford it unfortunatley I cant do. Its an extra fiver a head so a top up of wine will have to do!!
fifibelle Posts: 4447
We are having drinks reception, then half bottle of wine per person at the meal, then glass of champagne to toast. Its all in our package so we are delighted with that!
DaisyB Posts: 1708
anyone just having a toast and no wine???
s wife Posts: 1445
[quote="nomla":1ww714b1]It all depends on when the toast will be. If your speeches are before dinner; then so is your toast; and our hotel has advised that under no circumstances will the toast drink be ordered and given out in time. Therefore we are having wine only. [/quote:1ww714b1] we had our speaches at the start with an open toast and then a glass of wine for the main course and it worked out great plus alot cheaper, if you want a toast at the start then your hotel should accommadate you after all your paying for their services
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
[quote="s wife":3r3j4xom][quote="nomla":3r3j4xom]It all depends on when the toast will be. If your speeches are before dinner; then so is your toast; and our hotel has advised that under no circumstances will the toast drink be ordered and given out in time. Therefore we are having wine only. [/quote:3r3j4xom] we had our speaches at the start with an open toast and then a glass of wine for the main course and it worked out great plus alot cheaper, if you want a toast at the start then your hotel should accommadate you after all your paying for their services[/quote:3r3j4xom] s wife, did they toast with the drinks they carried in with them or did you have toast drinks ordered? what feedback did you get about the speeches being before the meal? Is that getting popular now, as I have never seen it done, but it is worth considering.