Wedding drinks. - Page 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
If I go for a toast as well, I will just be going for one glass of wine per person. Does a toast on its own seem really stingy? Budget so tight!
If I go for a toast as well, I will just be going for one glass of wine per person. Does a toast on its own seem really stingy? Budget so tight! Over 1.5k just for drink!
angel1978 Posts: 1154
To be honest from personal experience with weddings, if there is no wine at a wedding for the meal it is noticed among guests whereas a toast missing is not. I have only been to 1 wedding where there was no wine and i heard a lot of people mentioning it. People just assume there will be wine. It could also work out very dear for guests to buy drinks during a 3 hour meal too. Thats a few drinks each at least. I would take away the toast and just have wine and a top up for the toast.
Yeah, I was thinking it would look bad. The only thing is I thought the toast drink and 1 wine would be good because the non wine drinkers will get a drink free and not have to pay everything for themselves. I asked the hotel about putting diluted drink on each table and that would cost €5 per person! You can imagine that only about 20 people might have it, but would have to pay it for everyone at the wedding!
To be honest a lot of people just drink water with their meal and that will be served free so i would not be worrying about dilutables. I know within our guests about 75% would drink wine with their meal and 10% water onlyand the rest will get themselves a pint or a whiskey, etc. I would go with the majority vote which is usually wine.
You would go with 2 glasses of wine then per person? You think the non alcohol drinkers will get their own drinks for the toast, even if they stay on water for the rest of the meal? I can't imagine people toasting with water, but maybe I'm wrong. Sorry to ask people to clarify and give advice so much. I just really want to make the best decision for the guests and for us financially. Thank you everyone.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
gramurry i toated with water at the 8 weddings i was at this year as i wasnt drinking anything and dont like minerals with my dinner so i drank plenty water, didnt take notice that i only had water for the toast as its only a sip i took when we did the toast. i would recommend doing speeches either before the meal or after the starter or soup as its gets them out of the way and toast is done and out of the way. we only ever got offered a drink at one wedding this year and we were told we would get it at the end of the meal. we are inviting 370 but about 300 max will be coming so we got half that in wine. 150 bottles. and a few of those guests are very old and some are underage so we will have just over half a bottle for each guest. not doing a toast waste of money at 5 euro a head. the manager of the hotel told us not to bother with it either! [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:fqnzkrps]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;24/st/20090807/e/Our+Wedding/dt/5/k/2fe1/event.png[/img:fqnzkrps] [/url]
Thanks CATaug09. I have about 130 on the invite list and I am counting for 110 at the moment as that is the minimum numbers required for the room. I am working on the basis of approx. 7o people will have wine and would go for 35 bottles.
You would be surprised how many will drink wine with a meal that dont drink it any other time so add a few bottles in for them if you can. The hotel should only charge you for whats used anyway. There is nothing worse than half way through the meal running out of wine for guests. We are having our speeches before the meal too as it works out better as far as i can see anyway. Hoping to keep them to 10 mins but that way everyone will have a full glass of wine in front of them and i know a lot of guests like the speeches out of the way as well as the top table so they can all enjoy their meals. Does depend on how long you want your speeches to go on for though because people will be hungry.
doesmybumlookbiginthis? Posts: 480
i think the drinks reception is a nice idea but usually not really noticed if you dont have one esp if there is tea and coffee-we just hit the bar and buy our own like lol, wouldnt bother with the toast either if money is tight, all but 1 of the weddings we have been to this last 2 years just did wine top ups the other had a champagne reception and wine with dinner but i think the champagne was wasted as so many people dont like it(crazy i know lol!) so it would save a few pennies if you left it out...we always bring enough to cover our drinks costs so dont expect the bride and groom or parents of either to be splashing out any more money on drinks! also all the weddings ive been to had speeches before the meal-none were after-and they were nice and short which is great from a guests point of view!!