Wedding gift ettiquette

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
Did anyone hear Ryan Tubridy read out a text about wedding gifts this morning? A woman texted in to say she and her husband never received a gift from a couple when they got married. It's now the wedding of the non gift giving couple and she wants to give a card with no gift while her husband is happy to give a gift. I didn't hear the responses or if there were any but I thought it was interesting! I think I'd be the bigger person and give a gift though.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I didn't hear it, but I've heard dilemmas like that on here and other wedding forums. I'd always give a gift, regardless of if someone bought me one previously or not. I'm sure in your heart you'd be like 'stupid pigs didn't give us a gift, ya boo hiss' but still, I'd give a present. Either go with a good grace and enjoy yourselves or don't go at all. That'd be my philosophy I guess!
queen30 Posts: 1551
cremebrulee Posts: 8546
This didn't happen to us at our wedding so I'll never have to make this decision! I'd probably still give them a gift but wouldn't spend as much effort/ money on it maybe?
Elle Driver Posts: 508
Oh I would have to give a gift. I'd actually relish handing it over with a huge smile.
happieout Posts: 3111
I'd give a present as I know I'd feel petty if I didn't.
skitchums Posts: 1283
I'd give a gift/money also. I couldn't ever go to a wedding and not give something. I often wonder about this, I wonder has it ever been the case that the bride and groom mislaid or mixed up gifts from guests? How do you keep track of it all?
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
[quote="Perfect Wife":19uidfcr]Oh I would have to give a gift. I'd actually relish handing it over with a huge smile.[/quote:19uidfcr] Love it! There's a tiny part of me would enjoy that too! Evil, I know! Reminds me of this one time in this awful place I worked years ago. A colleague was doing some charity yoke and asking for donations. Everyone in there was pretty scabby and was also really mean and horrible and it was generally a dreadful place to work. Anyway, part of me didn't want to donate to this colleague out of spite, cos I couldn't stand them BUT what I did instead was donate €20, right up the top of the form, first person to donate. So everyone after me had to give in or around the same or else they'd look scabby! You know how it is, on a sponsorship form if someone donates a fiver, you donate a fiver too. So no-one wanted to donate a fiver when I'd donated 20! So the charity got loads of money and I got LOADS of satisfaction watching those awful horrible spiteful wretches I worked with having to stump up the 20 euro. They were DISGUSTED! But I just smiled serenly and went on my way!!
Jawl Posts: 8881
I'd deffo give a gift! Even tho you might feel like giving the same, nothing. You've all heard me moan about the Fockers being grabbers. Mr. Jawl had a big birthday recently and threw a party. I think 2 out of 7 gave a gift. They've had/have big birthdays come up for them and their kids but we still give it. Because we are decent people and I wouldn't give it to them to say that I am anything like them. A friend of mine has to go to a wedding soon and is disgusted that the bride isn't paying for her accommodation, she's a BM. So she's decided her wedding gift is her presence. I think it will be the end of their friendship personally. I think sometimes you have to suck up the expense of staying over at a wedding, because it's not always within the budget for them to pay for bridal party accommodation. The only sticking point I have about this situation is the bride is insisting she stay two nights, and I think if she's making demands, she needs to meet her BM somewhere in the middle at least, otherwise give her the choice to not stay over.
lolabelle Posts: 3311
[quote="Smileykaz":3c2mest6]They were DISGUSTED! But I just smiled serenly and went on my way!![/quote:3c2mest6] I think I love you!! :o0 :o0 :o0 :lvs :lvs :lvs