wedding gift list?? is it popular or not??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rk16 Posts: 190
deleted
chocbiscuitcake Posts: 658
Personally, I think that if there are particular items you would like, then maybe do up a gift list but do not give it to anyone / tell anyone about it unless they ask you or your parents / bridal party / whoever what you would like. That way, they have already decided to give a gift and are only inquiring as to what type of gift to give. Whereas including a gift list in an invite or telling people before they asked is a bit presumptive. Or don't bother with the actual list but just tell people you are collecting the blue Denby crockery or whatever when they ask, if you'd rather. I'm sure you'll get a million different opinions on this one!
TickledPink Posts: 338
Hi Rk, We are having a list/registering. H2B's family are American and alot of my family live in Canada, so it is completely normal to have a list for them. I also think that it helps in general for guests coming in from overseas - it means that they dont have to stress about luggage allowance and/or breakages from the travelling. I will let the word out to the Irish contingent as well, but I think that those that will take pleasure in buying a gift that they want will do som anyway, regardless of the list. And to be honest I am actually looking forward to some surprises!! So in essence - let people know that it exists but make sure they know they have the 'freedom' to think outside of the list. XX :wv
sillysocks Posts: 1390
My cousin is getting married next week and has a list - its very handy and nicer than giving money. I think there's very mixed opinions on the lists but I think having one and mabye just getting info around by word of mouth is the best way to do it - doesn't put any noses out of joint. If someone didn't have a list I'd give mney but if there's a list I'd buy from that. My cousin just told me, and now me, Mum and my bro are getting stuff off it so word does spread if you want it to! Just make sure you have a list with plenty of different options price wise - don't just have really expensive things on it.
Kilcock bride Posts: 426
I really like the idea of a list as OP said, we have our house & its fully furnished so I don't want 5 more clocks etc. H2B is dead set against the idea, thinks its greedy, personally I'd rather get gifts I like rather than the Ladro my uncle insists on giving everyone - apologies to all Wolies who like Ladro, I hate the stuff. However, H2B's cousin got married Aug bank holiday weekend & I though their list was a little cheeky, they wanted you to upgrade them on the flights for honeymoon, upgrade them to a superior suite for honeymoon, all these were coming in about the €2,000 mark EEEEHHH hello :eek and other stuff like that As if I'd have 2k to spare :o0 :o0 :o0 We ended up giving them a John Rocha set of red wine glasses, which is a present I'd love to get So fairly divided on it, I'd like one, H2B says absolutely not O:| he just wants cash :-8 which I think is a little OTT, I'm just glad we have guests who want to come :o0 & we're not Billy-No-Mates :o0 :o0
moyra-smyth Posts: 511
[quote="Kilcock bride":37h9e3ni]I really like the idea of a list as OP said, we have our house & its fully furnished so I don't want 5 more clocks etc. H2B is dead set against the idea, thinks its greedy, personally I'd rather get gifts [/quote:37h9e3ni] Im the exact same! House is pretty much furnished. There ar a few bits we still need but h2b hates the list idea for the same reasons.
cala girl Posts: 70
Im getting married abroad so won’t be doing one, but I think the general idea is if you don’t do a list you want money. And I have to say if im going to a wedding and they have a list im delighted its so much easier.
rk16 Posts: 190
[quote="cala girl":bdnq5ii3]Im getting married abroad so won’t be doing one, but I think the general idea is if you don’t do a list you want money. And I have to say if im going to a wedding and they have a list im delighted its so much easier.[/quote:bdnq5ii3] Hi girls, thanks for the replys, i didnt know what type of responce that i would get for that question, it def seems to be divided though. H2B is dead against it, but at same time has said that if we get alot of the same things, which we proberly will, that we could return to the shop and get credit note and exchange for something we like.... he thinks its a bit american O:| O:| where i think its handier....for the people who are buying the presants. Kilcock bride, i agree with you, god their list was a bit OTT all the same, i was thinking of obviously smaller than that, as i think weddings are expencive enough to hold and also to attend, that this way we could be sure that no-one went overboard, there is always some of familys that tend to overdo the present... thanks anyways im sitll 50/50 though O-O O-O
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
I think list is a great idea BUT I know a couple who were invited to a wedding and the cheapest gift on it was €400!
boohoo Posts: 39
I'm so sick of giving money!! Really if someone sent a list I'd be delighted for the opportunity to get them something tangible. I got lots of gifts instead of money (didn't have a list) and I love them all (some I love so much I've put them into a dark cupboard for safe keeping!!) but they were all given with thought and I'm really grateful that someone went out and shopped for something with us in mind. Whereas any wedding I've been to lately I've just sat on my ass and wrote a cheque cause I haven't a notion what to give.