Wedding Insurance - Did you take it & if so why?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Just trying to decide whether to get this and if so through what company? I am getting married in Barcelona in October 2008 and feel like maybe I should take it out but would like to hear your opinions and experience on this issue? Thanks, Sue
hick Posts: 858
we've been thinking about it but still haven't, a friend of mine's father had a heart attack the night before and they had to cancel, his b2b just happended to get insureance 3 weeks before on the off chance...it was a horrible situation but at least some of the finacial aspect was taken off their shoulders We swore we'd get it for ours to be honest I think we will still
Chococat Posts: 1632
I kept meaning to take out insurance but I never did. Thank God I didn't need it. Anything can happen & insurance is not that expensive so I'd say go for it.
Star08 Posts: 423
keep meaning to - must look into it again, its ages since i seen anything about it. anyone recommend where to take out the policy?
lollyfp Posts: 2441
yes i definitely agree that it isn't that expensive so better to be safe than sorry! anyone have advice on who to get it from????
marianf Posts: 5845
We did take it out. It was only €200 and you never know! Hopefully we will never need it but didnt want to be kicking ourselves if something happened. I did a bit of research on it and posted it. I will look for the thread and re-post it here.
marianf Posts: 5845
[b:a985iksn]INFORMATION FROM MY RESEARCH IN APRIL. [/b:a985iksn] Although it appears that they are a number of companies doing the insurance, they are really only two. www.weddinginsurance.ie and www.irishweddinginsurance.ie (Click and insure's package isnt comparable in terms of limits and quoteme.ie offer the wedding insurance.ie package) The cover between the two varies enormously in that Wedding Insurance.ie relates specifically to the wedding itself with some provision for personal accident, legal fees and personal liability. Irish Wedding Insurance also includes the honeymoon, medical expenses, personal accident, legal fees and pet care Laugh Although their limits are higher for personal accident, legal etc their limits are lower for the main wedding services like attire, gifts etc. Wedding Insurance are very clear about their cover if the wedding has to be cancelled or re-arranged due to the death of a close family member etc. but Irish Wedding Insurance dont mention that. Wedding Insurance have 3 package options: Essential €75, Premier €199 and Premier Plus €299. If anyone is having a marquee you need to add another €59 to each option Irish Wedding Insurance have 4 options: Silver €79, Gold €109, Diamond €149 and Platinum €189. Just to give you an idea of the premium v's cancellation and rearrangement cover........ Wedding Insurance Essential (€75) Cover up to €10,000 Premier (€199) €20,000 Premier Plus (€299) €40,000 Irish Wedding Insurance Silver (€79) €5000 Gold (€109) €8,000 Diamond (€149) €12,000 Platinum (€189) €16,000 H2B and I have great health insurance and good travel insurance so from our perspective insuring the wedding itself is what is important so we will go with www.weddinginsurance.ie and the Premier Package. Our wedding is going to cost about €35,000 but I think this package is enough cover to get us through. No point in over insuring when you really really hope, you wont need the cover at all. Hope that helps!!!! Please double check for yourself though! Just to add: Just make sure that your honeymoon is covered too! From what I recall at the time, some of the policies only covered a HM in Europe[/b]
hoodieboodie Posts: 1200
Thank Marianf, that is really informative. I have it on my list of things to do in the next week or two so that really helps. To anwer the original post, we are getting it as peace of mind as given the time of year (new years eve) and we're going for a marquee, the weather could play havoc (mind you going on the weather we're getting recently, it is just as likely to pay havoc any month); plus there are relations on both sides that are elderly and have been poorly for a while so god forbid the worst happens, we have some scope for rescheduling without losing out financially. It's like car insurance or holiday insurance, it's highly unlikley you need it but a small price to pay if you do.
tiznot Posts: 53
Aw girls, It is my worst nightmare that something will happen to us or someone close before the wedding- look how far away it is! I know a few people who had to cancel weddings and I always think of them when I start planning or deciding on things, then it takes the whole excitement away from it. I know we are all in the same boat & we just have to get on with the planning, be excited & hopefully all will be well. Btw i know one couple who re-booked with the same hotel & they did not lose their deposit, maybe some suppliers are the same, esp when weddings have to be cancelled under tragic circumstances. I saw a leaflet for insurance but threw it in the bin as I just didn't want to think about the possibility of having to cancel....think I will reconsider!
kitten_77 Posts: 826
marianf that is an absolutly fantastic breakdown of the 2 policies, thanks for posting :thnk will have a look myself at both but we also have travel/health through work so sounds like weddinginsurance.ie is probably the one i will go for too.