Wedding rings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

discounter Posts: 441
Does anybody know if you have an 18k white gold engagement ring and a 14k white gold wedding ring, will one rub off the other and cause damage? Someone just mentioned this to me but I can't find it on the internet anywhere? Thanks
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I heard that both rings should, ideally, be the same carat. Appartently, the higher the number, the softer the gold which means that yes they would rub off each other and the softer one could get quite damaged. HTH :wv
Not good news as we've just bought our wedding rings in NYC and the highest carat they do is 14! Does any one know how much damage it does and is it fixable? How long will it take to be damaged?
Weddingloon Posts: 445
I actually asked a jeweller about this recently and they said they would be fine together. Maybe get in touch with a good jeweller to find out. Otherwise I'm going to talk to ours about wedding rings in a few weeks and he's excellent, I'll be asking him that question so I can let you know what he says.
thanks Weddingloon That would be great. I know that 9 and 18 carat will rub off each other and cause damage but i wasn't sure about 14 and i never even thought about it when we bought the rings! can you check when you're talking to your jeweller? thanks again! :wv
mkb Posts: 1744
I asked one of the jewlers this at the RDS they said it doesn't matter at all. with exception of your rings needing a polish or maybe to get "dipped" again, which all rings white gold or yellow need after some wear tear.
Weddingloon Posts: 445
[quote="linklater":3dbqztk6]thanks Weddingloon That would be great. I know that 9 and 18 carat will rub off each other and cause damage but i wasn't sure about 14 and i never even thought about it when we bought the rings! can you check when you're talking to your jeweller? thanks again! :wv[/quote:3dbqztk6] no problemo!! Previous poster has answered but to be double double sure, I'll let you know at the time!! Drop me a pm just so I'll see it there to remind me!!! :wv
mrs mcl 2010 Posts: 202
I'm using my granny's wedding ring- it is beautiful- 9ct rose gold. My fiance went round loads of jewellers til he found one who said thay could change the band of the engagement ring he picked to rose gold. It's been made in 18ct because that is what they work in but they said there will be no problem wearing them together.
NYE78BRIDE Posts: 60
It's not a problem. I have the same scenario, my engagement ring is 14 ct and wedding ring will be 18 ct. The jeweller said it would be the usual wear and tear which isn't much. As someone else said just get it dipped from time to time. Can't wait to get my ring!