Menu

Wedding Rings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BabyFootsteps Posts: 279
Hi, A question for you girls.. we're looking at wedding rings at the moment and trying to decide what to go for. My engagement is Platinum so obviously i am going to go for a platinum band. The question is my H2B.. he is looking at 18ct white gold or platinum. There is a difference of about 450 to go for the platinum. What are the main differences between the 2? Why is platinum so much more expensive? Is it worth spendning the extra for the platinum as he doesn't like the idea of having to get it dipped once a year!!! would love your opinions girls.. Thank you in advance!!! :)
EveT Posts: 98
what about palladium? same family as platinum so doesnt need plating but much cheaper, thats what my OH is going for I think
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
My ER is platinum so I had to get platinum wedding band. Hubby wasn't too bothered but because he works on a site he needed something hardwareing ie platinum/ palladium. He went for palladium in the end, beautiful ring and not a mark/ dent on it yet!!! ETS; Platinum is more expensive because its a rarely metal and harder wareing
mshelly Posts: 746
Girls, just to let you know that Platinum has come down in price and is nearly almost on a par with gold prices at the moment. Don't let the shops try and tell you otherwise as I have found some shop assistants in jewellery shops haven't a clue about this. One lady actually said to us "Platinum only goes up, it never goes down", she clearly knows nothing about how the stock market works. :eek H2B got a platinum ring as when all is said and done the rings and the photos are all that you really have left of the day.
Mollykins Posts: 69
I was told by a jeweller that there's no problem matching a palladium wedding ring with a platinum engagement ring. They're from the same metal family so they won't erode each other. I would buy palladium or platinum over white gold, I believe they're harder wearing and last longer.
Thank you so much for your responses!! :) So platinum or palladium are the way to go... unfortunately the shop we liked the ring in said that they don't do palladium. Seems a bit strange thinking about it now. Really annoying as H2B really likes the style of ring they have and hasn't seen it anywhere else. Kinda hoping Mshelly that you are right about platinum prices going down and we might be able to haggle or something... or take a pic of the ring and maybe see if anybody else will do it for us in palladium as €950 for gents ring just seems a little pricey to us.. i know its terrible as mine is costing alot more but hey what you gonna do!! :)
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
[quote="Mrs2be2012":2yufkio9]Thank you so much for your responses!! :) So platinum or palladium are the way to go... unfortunately the shop we liked the ring in said that they don't do palladium. Seems a bit strange thinking about it now. Really annoying as H2B really likes the style of ring they have and hasn't seen it anywhere else. Kinda hoping Mshelly that you are right about platinum prices going down and we might be able to haggle or something... or take a pic of the ring and maybe see if anybody else will do it for us in palladium as €950 for gents ring just seems a little pricey to us.. i know its terrible as mine is costing alot more but hey what you gonna do!! :)[/quote:2yufkio9] Hi what width ring is it?
Am I have no idea.. It's a size P. reasonably simple rounded ring that isn't too chunky as he has narrow fingers... I'm no expert!! :)
atina Posts: 2240
wow very pricey rings i got an 18 c yellow gold ring with eight diamonds around it and my h2b got a 9c d shaped yellow gold ring both for 500 euro....now my dad is in the trade so we got them at trade price...plattinum is more hard waring and palladium is more like steel it hasnt been around that long for wedding rings. White gold rings need to be dipped every now and then or the yellow gold starts to show through
Voltaire Diamonds Posts: 517
Hi there, Email me pic of ring, we may have it in our collection. [email protected] Many thanks Seamus