Wedding worries.....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

emma1987 Posts: 95
Hi everyone, I'm getting married in 5 months and I'm starting to worry about the decision I've made to have a small intimate wedding. People have obviously been made aware that it's not a huge event and there's less than 40 people going. I know I shouldn't take other people's opinions to heart, but I know people will have things to say about the fact that there's no band/entertainment. Firstly, it's not what we want and was also something we couldn't afford, but just because people hear "wedding" they expect the whole shebang. Has anyone here had a small ceremony & meal/drinks and not had any issues? I need some advice to take my mind off other people. Thanks
ammygirl Posts: 248
Hey, If your only having a small wedding. The guests you have going are obviously very close family and friends who love you and your h2b very much. These people are close enough to know what you want and will not expecting anything but seeing the two of you happy. I know it's hard, but try to remember your wedding is about you and your partner. Enjoy your build up and excitement and don't worry about what people think. I'd say it's the people who aren't going to the wedding that are putting doubts in your mind, and there probably just being nosey and looking for something to say. Enjoy it. x
^^ Thanks. Good way of putting it. I know I should just be enjoying the build up. I'm the kind of person who tries not to let opinions bother me, but in the back of my mind, they do. Oh well. Here's to the next 5 months lol
Lorna Doone Posts: 737
From what I read on WOL, there will always be folk who'll stick their oar in, as far as your Big Day is concerned. I think it's normal to feel bridal stress! It's just hard for some to accept anything other than the norm. And not just with weddings... You won't regret doing things your own way. Hope you have a fun five months & don't mind them x
magryan14 Posts: 186
Don't worry about what other people think it's your day. Some people will never be happy and no matter how big your wedding is, someone is going to feel left out. Since you've said its going to be small, I'm sure people are not expecting the band etc. I hope you have a lovely day and try to forget others opinions.
Thanks guys O-O
MrsA2be Posts: 2
I was having the same problem, ours is slightly bigger but no one was happy about it. Not happy with the choice of venue, food, dress... the list goes on. I keep telling myself, myself and the Mr are happy with all the details, and we'll be married at the end of the day. Plus more often than not the 'helpful' hints are coming from a place of love, even if they are delivered in the worst way ever!
SuaSua Posts: 102
I feel for you! The only thing I can say is to do what feels right for you. I didn't follow my own advice on this, I worried too much about what other people would say, and what others wanted, and we ended up inviting many more than we had planned - our wedding is not local to us - but now we're getting so many last-minute declines (from all the people who weren't originally on our list!) which is frustrating and stressful when we're trying to finalise things with the hotel. I have also realised that your perspective changes as you go through this, and there are things I didn't want to do 4 months ago because I didn't want to offend A, B and C and now with the benefit of hindsight im realising i should (and by "i" i mean "we"!) have done what was right for both of us all along, because ultimately people will please themselves and you could end up over-estimating the offence you might cause by not inviting people - sometimes they're just as happy to be left out! So do what you really want to do, listen to your gut feeling. I think a small wedding sounds absolutely gorgeous and something you would be relaxed with, and it would give you time to really chat with all your guests instead of flitting from one to the other for a minute each!