Weed smoking

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

curves and curls Posts: 109
Having a strange summer - come across three different groups of people, all in their very lates 30s/early 40s who are regular weed smokers. Now I'll be the first to say I've no idea about the stuff, not my scene at all and I'd be so naive about others doing it, but to me it was always something teenagers did, not adults. I have to say I was really shocked at two of the groups, seemed really well educated and some of them are parents, with teenage kids and offer them some to smoke with their friends. SO my question is - what's the big attraction? Is it not something you grow out of? Is it an attempt to hang on to your youth or just numb yourself from the day to day humdrum of life? Does it still give a great feeling after years of use? Really interested to see what the more worldly wise have to say!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="curves and curls":2mtd6b7y]Having a strange summer - come across three different groups of people, all in their very lates 30s/early 40s who are regular weed smokers. Now I'll be the first to say I've no idea about the stuff, not my scene at all and I'd be so naive about others doing it, but to me it was always something teenagers did, not adults. I have to say I was really shocked at two of the groups, seemed really well educated and some of them are parents, with teenage kids and offer them some to smoke with their friends. SO my question is - what's the big attraction? Is it not something you grow out of? Is it an attempt to hang on to your youth or just numb yourself from the day to day humdrum of life? Does it still give a great feeling after years of use? Really interested to see what the more worldly wise have to say![/quote:2mtd6b7y] I'm not sure education has anything to do with this? Well educated people regularly get pi$$ed drunk and fall out of pubs but a few drags of a joint is so unacceptable? Weed is like any other drug - some people can use it recreationally and not let it get in the way of their day to day lives. I know plenty of people who smoke it and have jobs and are excelling in those jobs. I don't know about giving it to your kids, I think that's totally irresponsible as teens are not responsible enough to use it responsibly. If you are using weed to "numb yourself from the humdrum of life" you have issues. Not everyone using it has a problem though. You said yourself you have no idea about the stuff but then go on to make assumptions about its users. To be honest I found your whole post reeked of ignorance and immaturity.
And that's why I posted - to challenge my assumptions and find out if they're true or not. Trying to understand a bit more, rather than just judge. I was making assumptions kinda based on the whole "they don't call it dope for nothing", I put it out there to ask more knowledgeable people to show me what the attraction is. Was that not obvious? Hopefully it's cleared up now. :)
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="curves and curls":1d1gtcl3]And that's why I posted - to challenge my assumptions and find out if they're true or not. Trying to understand a bit more, rather than just judge. I was making assumptions kinda based on the whole "they don't call it dope for nothing", I put it out there to ask more knowledgeable people to show me what the attraction is. Was that not obvious? Hopefully it's cleared up now. :)[/quote:1d1gtcl3] Yes, but don't you think you should reserve judgement until you learn a bit more about it. I particularly found ill favour with your "seemed well educated" comment. It implied that those who smoked weed could not be well educated. I mean, surely you see how alcohol and weed are related. Both drugs used by many for recreation. Why is smoking weed "something you should grow out of" but not alcohol? Weed helps you relax, just like someone might come home and have a glass of wine, someone else may smoke a joint. To me, weed is so commonplace now I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I saw someone smoke it. I'm a bit surprised that an adult in their 30s would be so shocked by it's use. It is just so commonplace now and not a big deal.
Well guess you live and you learn, eh! Thanks for the reply
Mrs2014 Posts: 151
I didn't find the first post judgemental at all. Just trying to get information I thought, no big deal. I know some people in their 40's who smoke it who I wouldn't have expected. One highly strung stay at home mother I know. But wouldn't be my scene purely because I hate the taste of it!
Not my scene as I said, tried it as a teen, did nothing for me. Just think it's gas sometimes that the ones who always come in all guns blazing spouting opinions left right and centre can sometimes be so sensitive to others' judgemental assumptions. Maybe they just need a few drags :o0
wowser Posts: 538
[quote="curves and curls":288kls8e] SO my question is - what's the big attraction? Is it not something you grow out of? Is it an attempt to hang on to your youth or just numb yourself from the day to day humdrum of life? Does it still give a great feeling after years of use? Really interested to see what the more worldly wise have to say![/quote:288kls8e] Plenty of my friends still smoke, most of them are highly educated (never thought this would have anything to do) have very good jobs, have now babies. I don't cos I never liked the taste, doesn't agree with me, but after years seeing them and being together when they smoke, my conclusion is that they love it, gives a nice chilled out feeling. No attempt to numb them selfs or hang on to their youth, it's purely recreational, same as having a few drinks.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I tried it a good few times but never saw the appeal, my friend and her fiancée both smoke it I'd say most days. They both have degrees and fancy jobs so make of that what u will!
Alsgal12 Posts: 1411
I'm not personally into it but OH and practically all his friends would regularly smoke. OH is self-employed and works shifts and like someone else said, he enjoys a joint to chill out in lieu of a glass of wine or a few beers which others might take in their downtime. I dont think education has anything to do with it, nor age, marital status, emplyment status etc. If we ever have kids I wouldnt ask OH to stop smoking it, it would be like another person asking their OH not to drink the few beers a couple of times a week.