Weeny problem - is this normal

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

queenie2008 Posts: 296
I've a bit of a problem and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I ordered my bridesmaids dresses at the end of March and they came into the shop about three weeks ago. So far, 2 out of the three of them don't fit!!! The three girls live in different places so getting them all to try on their dress is taking some time The first one was too big, the dress is two foot too long and a size too big. (It's a US size six, which we now think to be a 12?? The girl needs a 10!) My younger sister's dress is too small, she is 11 and a half and the shop advised us to order a child size 12 exclaiming after measuring her that she was "a perfect child 12!". So we did, but the poor kid is bet into it and wouldn't be able to breathe wearing it for ten mins let alone a whole day!!! She hasn't grown or put on weight since March! My older sister hasn't tried hers yet, she's trying it tomorrow but we're not optimistic. It's a US 24 and now we are worried about that. I should explain that we ordered Child Size 12, Adult 6 and Adult 24 PURELY because the woman in the shop told us that after measuring. It's not like we tried to figure it out oursleves or anything :( I also paid upfront because it was 100 euro cheaper and it seemed like a good idea at the time. My size 6 sister went to pick up her own dress (as she lives near where we ordered them) and they made her take all three. No option of trying it on to see did it fit etc. Anyways my mother, needless to say, was furious. Size 6's dress can be taken in but how much is that gonna cost like!! She rang the shop and they were all "ah this stuff happens all the time here's the number of a person who does alterations". With regards to child size 12 she said there was a whole extra size in the seams of it it just needs to be let out ... but I don't understand why the f*ck could we not just order a dress that fits!! Like we'd expected *some* alterations, like turning up a hem, putting straps on etc but this seems a bit much!! Is this just the way it is???
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
Exact same thing has happened to me. I went with the security of ordering from a shop (as opposed to internet) because BM was pregnant and we would have needed to guess the size she would be, so I assumed the shops would have a better idea than me. Her dress just about fits her but only because she is breastfeeding and back to her normal weight. It is too long and too big at the bust. The shop is carrying out the alterations but at extra cost to what I paid for the dresses themselves (I was under no obligation to get the shop to do the alterations but I don't know anybody else). The other BM's dress is too tight, to the point that some boning has to be removed and the sides let out one size. Unless you buy a tea length dress off the peg, it's unlikely you will get BM dresses that won't need altering. I suppose we are all different shapes and sizes, some people bigger on the bust, smaller on the hips etc, and one of my BM's is a lot taller than the other so alterations are unavoidable IMO.
Thanks Lippy, That makes me feel a bit better, I guess I just need to hear that this is the "norm". In the scheme of wedding run-up disasters it's not even on the scale but I just had hoped it was sorted you know? Thanks :) :wv
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
I know what you mean, I have found it more stressful getting BM's sorted than myself >:o( and like you, the appointments are all on different days and the seamstress doesn't work a Saturday O:| , check with yours that she does (if you work Mon to Fri). I am off now for one BM's appointment today so I will let you know how I go if you want.
nissi Posts: 683
I reckon half of them working in the bridal shops havent a clue. Im so pissed off that i didnt order my dress on the internet. I was seriously thinking of it but in the end i said its best buy from a bridal shop as they know what there doing. I ordered my dress with the bridal shop and they took my measurements and were ordering me a US size 6 which they said was a UK 8 and im normally a 10. I paid half the dress amount that day, didnt even think about the size as i was on such a high, but it was later when i realised that it would have been too small. The dress i tried on in the shop was a size 12 so i would be coming down 2 sizes. I went back the following week and they were agreeing with me. So if i hadnt have went back they would have ordered a dress too small. I think il definetly buy my bridesmaid dress online, but just sickened i didnt get mine online and save my self a fortune. O:| O:| O:|
[quote="nissi bride 09":3nx5rcdo] I ordered my dress with the bridal shop and they took my measurements and were ordering me a US size 6 which they said was a UK 8 and im normally a 10. I paid half the dress amount that day, didnt even think about the size as i was on such a high, but it was later when i realised that it would have been too small. The dress i tried on in the shop was a size 12 so i would be coming down 2 sizes. [/quote:3nx5rcdo] I'm really confused because my sister is a size 10 normally and her US size 6 is too big, it's a size 12.
nissi Posts: 683
That is confusing a US 6 being a UK 12. Some people say the sizes vary by only one or two sizes, but never heard of there being a difference of 3 sizes. Its headwrecking, i dont understand why designers dont put on European sizes too
Yeah I haven't a clue I can never figure these things out and then it varies from designer to designer as well! Eg My dress is a 14 but in reality it's somewhere between a 12 and a 14 !!!
FutureMrsL Posts: 231
Same thing happened to me. 30 days before my wedding and one of my BM's dresses is still not back. Had to be re-ordered because they mixed up all the sizes. Granted my two 16's were fine, slight alterations. She measured one BM normally a 10 as a 14 and other BM normally a 12 as what we think is an 8 (even though they said it was a 10). Still wrong by all accounts. So yes, agree with previous poster, BM's DEFINATELY more stressful than my own!!!!!
[quote="FutureMrsL":3ip929j4] So yes, agree with previous poster, BM's DEFINATELY more stressful than my own!!!!![/quote:3ip929j4] I'm gonna be awful and kinda depend on them to get it sorted out between them tho, is that terrible? Obviously I'll pay for the alterations but I can't be trying to coordinate them all lol.