Well, That Was Quick: Katie/Tom Settle Divorce

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

livadia Posts: 351
I'm glad for the child's sake, but it sure makes me wonder why it didn't take him long to agree. Best, Livadia
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I know! Was just going to do a thread. I'd say he got instructions from the cult to get it over and done with so they wouldn't be brought in to it. Sad though that all he seems to care about is his money. Was just wondering you know the other 2 kids he adopted with Nicole Kidman who has/had custody of them - I know they are both over 18 now so custody probably doesn't apply?
[quote="BusyDee":1gnk1l6z]Was just wondering you know the other 2 kids he adopted with Nicole Kidman who has/had custody of them - I know they are both over 18 now so custody probably doesn't apply?[/quote:1gnk1l6z] He got custody and cut Nicole completely out. They're the ones who were gathered around him when the TomKat divorce thing exploded. Though they stayed mum to the press, the son did tweet "Familia is everything" soon after the initial news of the split. See [url=http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/pressure-on-tom-cruise-to-explain-why-nicole-kidman-was-cut-off-from-their-kids/story-fn907478-1226419678917:1gnk1l6z]here[/url:1gnk1l6z] for one take from an Australian news source which I've heard echoed elsewhere and believe isn't far off the mark. Best, Livadia
littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
Gotta give it to Katie, she's much smarter than anyone ever gave her credit for. She got out of a marriage to one of the most powerful men in Hollywood pretty much with everything she wanted - sole custody of her child being the most important. I know he has generous visitation rights and all that, but she gets to send Suri to a school of her choosing in New York (seemingly she already has her registered to start in September) and build a new life for herself. Fair play to her - can only wish her well. And it totally serves Tom right - how dare he try and stop a Dawson's Creek movie!!! Shame on you Tom, shame on you!!! >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( [i:o76ixgtz]Edited to say that I just read that article re Nicole Kidman and I think the author missed the central difference between Katie and Nicole - Katie took Tom by surprise, she served papers and had Suri with her in New York while he was miles away in Iceland. Nicole, on the other hand, was served papers by him and was totally stunned with hn idea it was going to happen. She then had a miscarraige pretty much immediately after being served papers and had to deal with that trauma as well as the fact that her husband of ten years wanted a DNA test to prove that the child she was carrying was in fact his. So totally different circumstances in that the kids weren't actually in her care at the time of her finding out about the divorce. I doubt if she ever realised just how much they would be indoctrinated to have nothing to do with her - I read an interview with an ex-Scientologist who worked with Tom Cruise at the time who said the kids were pretty much told that their mother was a psychopath. Also, I know way too much about this. If only I were to use my brainpower for good instead of trivia... :o0 [/i:o76ixgtz]
[quote="littlesugarloaf":34151r1s]Gotta give it to Katie, she's much smarter than anyone ever gave her credit for. She got out of a marriage to one of the most powerful men in Hollywood pretty much with everything she wanted - sole custody of her child being the most important. I know he has generous visitation rights and all that, but she gets to send Suri to a school of her choosing in New York (seemingly she already has her registered to start in September) and build a new life for herself. Fair play to her - can only wish her well. [/quote:34151r1s] Yep, she seems to have managed to pull off the ultimate "Mission Impossible." Apparently, her father who's an attorney was key in helping her devise and work out the plan, pieces of which were methodically put into place over many months. I think she's also underestimated as an actress. Two weeks ago she was in Iceland with Tom and he was none the wiser. Then, SMACK! Guess what, Mr. Cruise? You're toast! :compress [quote:34151r1s]And it totally serves Tom right - how dare he try and stop a Dawson's Creek movie!!! Shame on you Tom, shame on you!!! [/quote:34151r1s] LOL... +1
Reston Posts: 1321
[quote="SorrentoWife":272hmgm3]Was reading something online yesterday and apparently he agreed quickly as if it went down the more legal route a lot about Scientology and his involvement would come out. The church is secretive and would imagine its members don't want information splashed across the media.[/quote:272hmgm3] I would guess that Katie had this in mind all along. That's why she applied for sole custody. I would say she took a gamble that the cult would tell him to just cut her out. I'm glad she's happy.
[quote="littlesugarloaf":uwocfsbw][i:uwocfsbw]Edited to say that I just read that article re Nicole Kidman and I think the author missed the central difference between Katie and Nicole - Katie took Tom by surprise, she served papers and had Suri with her in New York while he was miles away in Iceland. Nicole, on the other hand, was served papers by him and was totally stunned with hn idea it was going to happen. She then had a miscarraige pretty much immediately after being served papers and had to deal with that trauma as well as the fact that her husband of ten years wanted a DNA test to prove that the child she was carrying was in fact his. So totally different circumstances in that the kids weren't actually in her care at the time of her finding out about the divorce. I doubt if she ever realised just how much they would be indoctrinated to have nothing to do with her - I read an interview with an ex-Scientologist who worked with Tom Cruise at the time who said the kids were pretty much told that their mother was a psychopath. [/i:uwocfsbw][/quote:uwocfsbw] I agree that the critical difference was who played the "surprise card." Still say, "fair play to Katie" for beating her husband at his own cruel and insensitive game. The whole ordeal had to have taken a terrible toll psychologically on Nicole. I think Katie saw that clearly, and was determined it wasn't going to happen to her and her child. Best, Livadia
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
It says a lot about her character that her little girl was more important than money, fair play to her I think she's great! I'd say she will have won alot of fans for that.