Were would be nice in england or scotland to take parents

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Positive2 Posts: 216
Hi all. Hope someone can help. We just recently married and we got so much support and help from my parents that we have decided to take them away for nice long weekend around february time. It will be their xmas present. But were would be nice to take them. I was thinking of going to scotland or england and taking the car on the boat but anyone any idea were would be nice. They in there middle 60's,dont drink.Daddy would like farming things,mammy just like anything. I was thinking of highlands scotland but they have been there few times and would there be anything to do around february. Any suggestions please?
SGirl Posts: 2542
I would love to go to Scotland to the highlands, if your father likes shooting/fishing they do breaks for that and you and your Mam could go hiking etc. Otherwise Edinburgh is my favourite city ever, it has a wonderful vibe and I always love to see the wonderful castle perched on the hill in the city centre. A friend of mine went to the Cotwolds (sp?) on her honeymoon and it looked idlyllic so we might go there next summer as we have a LO and it might be relatively easy to go to England with him (wouldn't take him to a hot country or non english speaking when he is so young!). London is also a great adventure with all the museams, london dungoen and wax works etc.
Wilma Flintstone Posts: 1262
How about Cornwall? The ferry goes from rosslare to Pembroke and it's not far from there. It's gorgeous and warmer then most of England, loads of farming related stuff and the seal sanctury is well worth a visit if your close to it. Plus the food is gorgeous!!
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I lived in Edinburgh for 2 years. PArents are farmers and in their 60's adn they used to love coming over. They loved the castle and all the history in the city and took a trip up to loch lomond and stuff
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I haven't been myself (yet!) but hope to do so in near future but from what I've read and seen on TV and pictures etc, Oxfordshire appears to be a beautiful part of the country with lots of history, heritage & culture and great landscape for walking routes and cycling trails also, not to mention the university of course. It's only an hour or so outside London by rail so should be easy enough access. Let us know what you decide, what a lovely idea and I'm sure your parents will be thrilled! :wv
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
[quote="calibelle":3iifti4o]How about Cornwall? The ferry goes from rosslare to Pembroke and it's not far from there. It's gorgeous and warmer then most of England, loads of farming related stuff and the seal sanctury is well worth a visit if your close to it. Plus the food is gorgeous!![/quote:3iifti4o] +1 My family are from the West Country, it's fabulous. Plymouth is very nice. I would highly recommend going there, I'd love to take my OH sometime :wv You could go to the Eden Project (OH's went last year and :lvs it) and also Rick Stein's seafood restaurant is in Plymouth.