What are DH time off entitlements???? if any??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby4me Posts: 455
hi girls just wondering is DH entitled to any time off by law for appointments are is this all up to the descretion of the company. so far he has taken time at his own expense for all my appointments and scans! buti was hoping that he would be entitled to time off for an anti natal class as we have 3 to attend! thanks in advance!!! ps i cant believe im 30 weeks getting kinda scared now!! :eek
theoracle Posts: 7664
Hi! Unfortunately, the law allows expectant fathers only a once-off right to paid time off work to attend the two antenatal classes immediately prior to the birth. Fathers are not entitled to paid time off for antenatal classes during every pregnancy - it’s just a once-off right only!!!!! Saying that, your husbands company may have a more genereous policy - above is just the minimum guaranteed by the law, but companies are free to offer more. The company handbook should list his entitlements.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
[quote="hu101":2ginxkti]Unfortunately, the law allows expectant fathers only a once-off right to paid time off work to attend the two antenatal classes immediately prior to the birth. [/quote:2ginxkti] That's it I'm afraid. And they're entitled to nothing else - even time to be at the birth or paternity leave is at the discretion of the company - otherwise it will be at your own expense :o(
MissieGold Posts: 1124
Thats so mean! :o( DH has attended all ante-natal appointments at his own expence which is OK but not being paid under law for the day his wife gives birth is just lousy. Must check his company entitlements am sure they are more generous than that. He at least got a day off when we got married (I didn't!)
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
All parents are also entitled to statutory parental leave (as opposed to paternity), but it is unpaid.. Amount of parental leave Parental leave is available for each child and amounts to a total of 14 weeks per child. Where an employee has more than one child, parental leave is limited to 14 weeks in a 12-month period. This can be longer if the employer agrees. (This restriction does not apply in the case of a multiple birth, such as twins or triplets.) The 14 weeks per child may be taken in one continuous period or in separate blocks of a minimum of six weeks. If your employer agrees you can separate your leave into periods of days or even hours. Both parents have an equal separate entitlement to parental leave. Unless you and your partner work for the same employer, you can only claim your own parental leave entitlement (14 weeks per child). If you both work for the same employer and your employer agrees you may transfer your parental leave entitlement to each other.