What broadband for home?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

missymoomooo Posts: 639
Hi All, I want to get broadband at home and finding it so confusing with all the different offers out at the moment. So far Sky and Eircom look like they have the best value. I used to have the Three usb key thing but didn't find it great speed wise so was hoping for some recommendations.... Would have around €30 a month would you get a good one for that?
E B Posts: 276
I could be shot for suggesting UPC but I've never had a problem with them and have excellent Broadband always. Don't know how much they are but I would suggest ringing them and saying you have approx 25 euro to spend. Mine is 22 euro per month after some bartering. You can't lose anything by trying.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I am constantly on the phone to UPC - we are disconnected several times a day, every day. A technician called out last week - thought it might finally be fixed but no, last night it cut out again. Load of crap. Trying to find an alternative as we speak.
E B Posts: 276
Missymoomoo, I'd say you or I could name any company and someone will have had a problem with them. Maybe try asking someone in your area what they use. If they have no problem then maybe the coverage in that area will be good. I've tried 02 before but coverage was rubbish were i lived.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Agree with EB - it really depends on where you are. I am in Swords; North County Dublin if that helps. I have phone and broadband with UPC. Tried Digiweb before too and it was waaaay too slow. Was thinking of changing to Vodafone but as they are new to broadband it is difficult to find reviews on them. My sister had Eircom - a little bit more expensive but she says she never has a problem.
BrideOfRecession i feel your frustration, the three internet i had before used to disconnect on me the whole time, and it's sooooooo annoying. When you are paying money for a service you expect it to do it's job! Anyone have theirs with Sky? Been looking into getting one of their bundles, correct me if i'm wrong but on the website it looks like i can get the standard sky, the unlimited broadband, free phone landline use(though i'll never use it), and sky sports for €95 per month. I'm waiting on them to come back to me on this but if it's correct i'd defo get it.
highbeam Posts: 2578
We have very little trouble with our UPC broadband, we switched to Eircom for a while as we got a really good deal and it was crap so as soon as the contract was up we went back to UPC.
Oh really high beam...would hve thought Eircom be one of the better ones. How was it crap? Too slow or disconnecting on you? I had to ring Eircom for work before and i remember being on hold for 34....yes 34 minutes with them, only for it was on work time i would have actually gone stone mad!
highbeam Posts: 2578
[quote="missymoomooo":3bi65fxe]Oh really high beam...would hve thought Eircom be one of the better ones. How was it crap? Too slow or disconnecting on you? I had to ring Eircom for work before and i remember being on hold for 34....yes 34 minutes with them, only for it was on work time i would have actually gone stone mad![/quote:3bi65fxe] It was really slow, we would watch a lot of things on netflix or off apple tv and some days we just gave up because it couldn't stream them. It also got jammed up a lot, and would slow down so much you just gave up trying to do what you wanted. I don't know if it had something to do with more traffic on it at certain times like the weekends. And their customer service is a joke. Being sent round in circles from one department to the next, no one could answer a question. I they also screwed us on our contract, they "accidentally" cancelled our 9 month contract after about 3 months, we got a bill with a cancellation fee of €300, we rang and said we never cancelled it so they switched it back on. So at the end of what we thought was our 9 months we went to cancel and they had some how managed to tie us in for another 3 months but not at our discounted rate. I just hated dealing with them. jeez that turned into a bit of an anti-eircom rant. Sorry.
haha...no i'd be ranting and raving like a lunatic if that was me...i cannot stand bad customer service especially from the big companies, some of their policies are a joke! Yea was hoping to get Apple TV sorted once i get the broadband in as well, so defo want a good service that will stream and not keep stalling every 2 minutes, there be no point in getting it if thats the case. Will let you know what sky come back to me with.