What buggy are you going for?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Went to Tony Kealy's on Sunday and got completely overwhelmed by all the choice! Must have been the hormones but at one point I nearly started crying as I didn't know what the sales girl was going on about - poor DH was worse - I hadn't realized he didn't know what the difference was between a buggy and a pram, a cot and a crib and had no clue what a carrycot was! We were completely out of our depths!!! Anyway, we fancied the idea of a travel system as they are reasonably priced, easy to manage and include the car seat. But DH tought the Graco ones looked a bit too lightweight when he saw them (I thought they were fine) and the salesgirl put us off the plastic wheels. We liked the look of the Britax Explorer Voyaga but I don't think the car seat will fit in our car (don't think we have Isofix). So now we really don't know. Is anyone else getting a travel system and if so which one? Any other recommendations appreciated!!!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Aaaarrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh is all I can say I haven't a fecking clue either !! I was going to buy a pram, then a friend said they're a waste of money that you'll hardly use the pram part, then someone else said you deffo need a pram for up to 3 months and not just a good buggy suitable for newborns O:| I'm going to go to the Mothercare evening next week though, so maybe I'll get some inspiration there.
charli Posts: 5994
i bought an expensive Mamas and Papas 4 years ago with my first pg - it wa over 600e and i really loved it so will use it for this baba!but.... to be honest if i had my time again i wouldnt buy such a big contraption - i mean the travel/car seat was perfect in the car and easy to place in the buggy and even the buggy was grand when baby was old enough but it was very big and heavy - an awful job in and out of the boot - great if you walk alot because it is so sturdy but i was in car most, so when baby got to 6/7 months i bought a Macclaren Stoller which is lightweight and my 3 year old still in this now at times!! my neighbour has one of those car seats on wheels and looks dead handy as she is also in the car alot, car seat whips off and it's literally just the wheel frame to put in boot - you know the ones i mean? anyway thats my two cents worth!
Tigletts thank god I am not alone!!! Feel like a complete dunce I have to say. I've just see in the Kealy's brochure that there is a travel system thingy from Chicco that converts from a pram into a buggy and you get a car seat with it. No price of course though... O:| O:| O:| Planning on going to the Mothercare evening on 7 June in Jervis - apparently you get a 10% discount card at them. Hoping it will be an enlightening experience!
fire fly Posts: 1241
Hope this might help, for my first child I got a Britax travel system, when I was in the shop the girl told me how light weight and easy to manage it was and getting the car seat and la la la. Well it was the heaviest thing ever, fine without a baby but the whole thing went to sh*t when he was in it. Had another baby then and we got a Graco double buggy, it was fantastic so easy to manage and so light weight in comparison to everything else I saw. So when I had to get a new travel system for number 3 I went for the Graco, they are cheap and I think that puts some people off but I love it I can fit the buggy and a whole weeks shopping in the boot!!!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
I don't drive (yet .... :-8 ) so I'd be a walker too. I always heard that baby shouldn't be in those car seat type things for more than an hour at a time? Supposed to be really bad for their backs when they're so little?
Thanks Charli - yep, definitely don't want a big contraption thingy or something with so many different positions it's like a fecking Transformer (buggies in diguise!). Maybe the Graco would be fine so....it's hard to cut through all the sales pitches!
ftbride yes that is a big help! So far have only heard negative things about Graco from sales people, which is perhaps not so surprising... I think the Britax is out for us anyway as the car seat prob won't suit our car.
[quote="Tigletts":1tx2aqgg]I don't drive (yet .... :-8 ) so I'd be a walker too. I always heard that baby shouldn't be in those car seat type things for more than an hour at a time? Supposed to be really bad for their backs when they're so little?[/quote:1tx2aqgg] That's right - you can use the car seat with the buggy for up to 1.5 hours apparently. If you're planning on being out longer, you should use the buggy in pram mode (i.e. flat) or some of them come with a soft carrycot insert. Ha! Sound like I know what I'm talking about! :o0
I don't drive either :-8 :-8 :-8