What can I take for back pain??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hectic Posts: 528
I woke up with a terrible pain in my lower back on Wednesday.......thought i had slept funny.......it was even worse yesterday.....travelling down my legs......started to ease off in the afternoon and then last night it shot up to my shouldblade........so today it's in my shoulderblade and neck......i can barely move my head at all and arms are a bit restricted.......does anybody know what you can actually take for this.......i have difene gel and voltarol and few things at home but i don't know if it's safe to rub any of those things on it.......has anyone suffered with this before?
Snuddlums Posts: 1644
I was with dr on tues and the only thing she advised me to take for back pain that i have is paracetmol.not much use really so iv just put up with the pain.would a soak in bath help?
Daff Posts: 11644
you can take Solpadeine under doctors supervision so maybe ring them and ask? depends on what stage of pregnancy you are at - not recommended in later stage. I had to take it cause I pulled a muscle in my side and could barely move but tried to take as little as possible. I was also offered it after I'd an operation at 18 weeks but declined.
Thanks girls, I find it eases a little with the hot water bottle. I'm 9 weeks pregnant. I don't want to take tablets at all. I was wondering if there was anything that I could rub on it that wouldn't be harmful to the baby
lolly2010 Posts: 707
I put my pelvis out of place a few weeks ago, my back was sooooooo sore, doctor said all i can do is rest, take paracetamol, use hot water bottle or ice pack. I hope you feel better soon :action32
candyfloss Posts: 704
I'm afraid you cant rub anything in Hectic, only paracetamol, heat/ice at your stage and you'd even want to be careful with a warm bath too. Would you see physio if it doesnt go away, they should be able to assess where exactly the pains coming from and give you specific exercises to help relieve it, especially if it's radiating from your back. Hope you feel better soon, :wv
Hi girls, I got the go ahead to use biofreeze. Got DH to rub a little on me, and thank god, it has loosened me up a lot! Still stiff and sore but nothing compared to what i was thank god!
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
[quote="lovemybaby":3sp7ktaz]you can take Solpadeine under doctors supervision so maybe ring them and ask? depends on what stage of pregnancy you are at - not recommended in later stage. I had to take it cause I pulled a muscle in my side and could barely move but tried to take as little as possible. I was also offered it after I'd an operation at 18 weeks but declined.[/quote:3sp7ktaz] Why is it not recommended in later stages? I'm 28 weeks and in agony with Spd back of my pelvis and now front, dr in the hospital said I can take solphadeine when I REALLY need it and to take paracetamol on a regular basis. The pain is CHRONIC and tbh I doubt I'll be able to do anything more than shower and use the loo much longer
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="SandyClaws":3tro2dj0][quote="lovemybaby":3tro2dj0]you can take Solpadeine under doctors supervision so maybe ring them and ask? depends on what stage of pregnancy you are at - not recommended in later stage. I had to take it cause I pulled a muscle in my side and could barely move but tried to take as little as possible. I was also offered it after I'd an operation at 18 weeks but declined.[/quote:3tro2dj0] Why is it not recommended in later stages? I'm 28 weeks and in agony with Spd back of my pelvis and now front, dr in the hospital said I can take solphadeine when I REALLY need it and to take paracetamol on a regular basis. The pain is CHRONIC and tbh I doubt I'll be able to do anything more than shower and use the loo much longer[/quote:3tro2dj0] It slows down the babies respiratory system so in later stages when there's a chance of labour etc then you don't want that as baby is going through enough and can lead to problems. If your doc says it's grand then I'd take it if you need it - I know there was no way I couldn't have survived my pulled muscle without it. Only reason I refrused to take it after operation was cause there was a risk of miscarriage and didn't want to have another thing to worry about.
TweetMul Posts: 495
Hi Girls, I had chronic pelvic pain and low back pain when I was pregnant and the pain that shoots down the legs is sciatica. Rest is best but if you can't handle the pain and don't want to go down the painkiller route acupucture is brilliant so it's worth a go. Just a suggestion. Hope you all get some pain free time soon.