what did your DH/DP do after birth of baby?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
My DH wants to take two weeks off after i get out of hospital, a little early to be thinking about it Blush the company he works for are a shower of ................... he was hoping to ask for paternity leave of 2 weeks but employers not obliged to give same paid/unpaid. he was thinking he will ask for parental leave, his manager is a P I G so i'm guessing he won't even know what he is taliking about. just wondering if anyone else DH had problems trying to get same. thanks girls Thanks
babybuttons Posts: 886
my Dh is going to take 3-4 weeks off hopefully when baby comes. he has loads of holidays from last year (which worked out great). have a look on citizens info website so he can have amunition when his boss gets all touchy about it. there are different blocks that u need to take that leave in. some employers offer it any way u want but some can be sticky
thanks hopeforbaby :thnk
twinpeaks Posts: 548
I'm dealing with an employye at the moemnt on this. Paternity leave up to 3 days at discretion of management, any other time is from annual leave. Entitlement to paternal leave in this country is rubbish, so make sure he has annual leave to use at the time. Try to talk to boss about a bit of flexibilty in case you go over or early, so he hasn't used a week while you are waiting to ahve baby.
babybuttons Posts: 886
i agree paternity leave is practially non existant in this country. but he is entitled to his 14 weeks parental leave. the rules around notifying employer can be straict but depends on his company they may be more lientient ciara look at this link [url:137a7j5o]http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/parental_leave[/url:137a7j5o] and get your DH to get the parental leave policy from his HR department. (im sure there is an intranet site in his place to print a copy himself
thanks so much girls for the great advice. i had a look at the citizens advice website very helpful. there is no HR dept in his work or access to the internet. he has been trying to get a copy of the policies and procedures as he heard there is time off for dads. they are refusing to print off anymore copies :eek he told them he should have been provided with a copy when he started with them 3 years ago :eek
twinpeaks Posts: 548
ciara, if he is in a union he should approach them for advice.
he approached all of union stewards and they are all stepping down. they have had enough, they have been told by company they are instigators. the union guys told DH he was entitled to F*** all :eek