What do I do if offered job?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sheesh Posts: 1129
Hey ladies, I'm so happy, I applied for a job a couple of weeks back, to cover maternity leave, and had not heard anything so I had assumed I wasn't going to be called for an interview. I got a letter in the post this morning asking me to come for an interview, which is great! I'm so happy because I've been unemployed since end of last August and have been applying for everything. My worry is this: If I do well in the interview (a big if!!) and I get offered the job, I want to accept it. We really need the money and as well as that I need the job for my own sanity!The job is to cover a maternity position from April to June and presumably from September to Dec (I think). I am due on the 27th June(according to scans) and if I did get the job, I would have no problem in going back to work in September to finish out the contract. It is doable, well the bit after summer is, but I'm not sure about the last couple of weeks in June. I would love to work up until the summer holidays, which I think fall around my due date, so that is probably not going to happen. If I was offered the job, and accepted and worked up until maybe the 18th June, and tooke the other days off as a sprt of maternity benefit, what would my rights be for September onwards? Just a reminder, it's a primary teaching position. I know I won't get paid for the summer anyway, so this is fine, but would I be entitled to go back into the position for the few months betweent Sept and Dec? I know it's a long shot, and I have to do well in the interview first, and they probably won't offer me the job when they see the bump, BUT, hypothetically, what would your advice be? Thanks! O:o)
MichelleBelle Posts: 202
Do they know you are currently pregnant and when your due date is?
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
I think if you get offered the job take it! You'll work it out when the time comes about your maternity leave but if you're working you'll be entitled to your maternity benefit and if you go back after 6/8 weeks then that will be the end of your maternity benefit and you can't get the other 18/20 weeks after that so weigh it up and see if it's worth it for you? If you have to pay someone to mind your lo/pay travel costs to work/lunches etc then you may be as well off at home with your baby?
Anahita Posts: 1161
Do you not have to be working a certain amount of consecutive weeks to get benefit? (just curious about this as I am not tcc yet but will be) Anyway, personally I would ring them and tell them you are pg. If you are due on the 27th then when would you need to finish up, the 13th? That leaves them with over two weeks to have to get cover for the rest of the school year. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. But you never know, once they hear you are willing to go back on Sept they might have no issue with it
[quote="MichelleBelle":3l9d9hus]Do they know you are currently pregnant and when your due date is?[/quote:3l9d9hus] No they don't know I'm pregnant. I was, just for a second, contemplating saying that my die date is a week later than what it is.... [quote="Alwaysbroke":3l9d9hus]I think if you get offered the job take it! You'll work it out when the time comes about your maternity leave but if you're working you'll be entitled to your maternity benefit and if you go back after 6/8 weeks then that will be the end of your maternity benefit and you can't get the other 18/20 weeks after that so weigh it up and see if it's worth it for you? If you have to pay someone to mind your lo/pay travel costs to work/lunches etc then you may be as well off at home with your baby?[/quote:3l9d9hus] So would I be entitled to maternity benefit for the 8 or so weeks during the summer? I have thought about this, and the money I would get for the subbing (which is what it is) is about 4 times a week what I would get on state maternity benefit a week so it would work out better I think. I would be finished work at 3 in the afternoon so would still have a lot of the day to spend with my baby. I want to do what's best for me and my baby, and I don't really know much about state maternity benefit, which is what I would be getting. I would love more than anyting to stay at home with the baby, which is probably what I will be doing if I'm not offered the job, but we are in dire need of the money. DH has had his days cut to 4 a week, which has been tough on us. Travelwise, it's only over 5 minutes in the car to the school and lunchwise, I would probably be eating less because I wouldn't be bored like I am at home! Thanks for your input, I'm not even sure how my mind is working at the moment, terribly confused!
Persephone Posts: 928
Are you talking about teaching? If so, maternity benefits are weird for those just on contract work, never mind on sub hours. I'd ring the department of education to see what you're entitled to before getting your hopes up. If I were you I'd do it! If you have your baby and feel that you aren't ready to go back to work yet then they'll have time to find someone else over the summer. No skin off their nose as you won't be getting paid for the holidays anyway. Definitely go for it. Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy!
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
Sounds like you really want to take it. I wasn't working before I had either of my 2 but as far as I know you only have to work 1 day in the 12 weeks before you go on maternity leave to be entitled to it? I've seen a few people on here say that they had a friend/relative put them on the books for a day/week so that they could get it? I'd go for it then. DD2 was 11 weeks when I started work. The job came up and I couldn't afford to turn it down. If the job is that local to you then I'd go for it. Tell them that you're due date is a week later and you can see how you're getting on closer to the time. You might be able to work on a bit if your doctor was happy for you to do so.
I would love to take the job, I need to get through the interview first though! I probably won't even get offered the job when they see the very obvious bump I'm carrying but it's worth a try anyway!! O-O
MichelleBelle Posts: 202
I think you should go for it. When you go along to the interview, your bump will obviously raise a few questions. If they offer you the job after this, then they're obviously willing to be flexible with you. I would be honest about your due date though. Good luck, make sure to keep us updated :wv